Installing range outlet: found questionable wires

Old 12-02-18, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing range outlet: found questionable wires

Hi,I bought a new range on back Friday to replace an in wall oven and stovetop combination. The old oven was hardwired, so I set off to install a wall outlet for the new range.j

When I looked at the box in detail, I realized 3 things:

1. The cable seems to be stranded aluminum wire
2. The jacket seems to have melted on the wires
3. I don't have enough cable to move the box lower, to the height recommend by the LG, the range manufacturer.

My questions are:
1. Is that cable safe and code-compliant (I'm located in King county, Washington state)
2. Can I clean the cable? Should I cut the sticky end?
3. Is the recommended outlet area a recommendation or a hard requirement?

Name:  wires.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  77.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-02-18 at 10:19 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-18, 10:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not sure where all those links were going to. If you keep your pictures slightly smaller in pixel size you can post them here directly....... How-to-insert-pictures

Those wires are aluminum and are fine to reuse. That "goo" on them is called No-Alox". It's an anti-corrosion grease used on aluminum wires. That's thermoplastic insulation. Very hard to remove. Yours was shaved off with a knife. If you clean off the bare wire..... you'll need to replace that grease. It can be obtained from most any home improvement store or electrical supply.

That box is held in with screws probably in the back. You could remove them and pull the box forward to see what you have to work with.

Old 12-02-18, 11:11 PM
Thank you! That's great news. I was very worried that the wires had melted and I didn't want to install something new without knowing the cause for that first.

Sorry about the pictures, I'm on mobile, which made the linking a bit harder. I'll fix it next time I log in from my computer

​​​​​​If I wanted to extend the cables to make it to the range recommend area, do i need to continic the cirxcir with aluminum wires of the same type? Is it possible to connect those aluminum to copper wires using electrical wire nuts?

Old 12-02-18, 11:26 PM
Group Moderator
How far do you have to move it ?
You'd splice on copper wiring.
Copper to aluminum takes special splices. Wirenuts can't be used.

Several different types of splices available at home depot, etc.
Name:  polaris.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  21.9 KB

Old 12-02-18, 11:34 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Old 12-03-18, 12:02 AM
I need to move it about 3 inches... The acceptable location for the new range is up to 6in from the ground.

Old 12-03-18, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
A 3" splice isn't going to be practical. That looks like surface box mounted in the wall. See if it has screws in the back and if it will come out. You may be able to move the hole in the wall down. There should be extra cable in the wall.

Old 12-03-18, 12:41 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I've used the Polaris connectors PJ showed. They come in multiple configurations and were very easy to use. Avail Amazon, HD, etc

https://polarisconnectors.com/

I had a very similar situation as you and did what PJ suggested and it turned out I was able to use the existing wiring. I got lucky as the wire was coming from the direction I needed to move the box.

However, if you are unable to move the box the 3", go back towards the wire source a bit to give you room and add in the junction box, then extend with a short copper whip 1 ' or so. Both boxes will be behind the stove so no aesthetic issue.

Old 12-03-18, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Just to make up a couple inches you could also try pulling out the metal box entirely and replacing it with a surface mount range outlet assuming there's enough slack in the cable. These are like $7 at the big box.

Old 12-05-18, 12:43 PM
Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it.

The cable is coming from above and there's no slack really to be able to pull it 3 inches down. These wires are about 1/4'' in diameter, so I need a beefy connector. I went to the an electrical store and they told me I could use this connectors: https://www.platt.com/platt-electric...px?zpid=817376

Edit: I'm also considering this inline connector: https://www.amazon.com/Morris-97017-.../dp/B00UKG81GO

I'm not sure if those are actually rated to be used for an oven. Do you think that connector would work?

I am thinking about using 6 awg cable for the copper side. My circuit is 40 amps, but I might want to upgrade it in the future for 50 amps, since the oven is a double oven and I'm concerned I might go over capacity in the future.

Last edited by Ainisil; 12-05-18 at 01:07 PM. Reason: adding a link
Old 12-05-18, 05:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
I think the first connector linked to takes up less space. Connectors are not listed for use with ovens etc, but those would be fine to use.

The whole run of cable would need to be rated for 50 amps. You cannot just upgrade the breaker if only the last few inches are larger.

Old 12-05-18, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
I left a picture of three splices. The first ones you linked to are the Polarus style.
The AlumiConn's take up much less room. Once spliced the cover closes.

The second ones you linked to are rubber coated splice blocks and will probably not fit in the box.

You are splicing two cables together to extend to a range outlet. The splices don't need to be oven rated.

Old 12-05-18, 06:29 PM
I wasn't able to find an AlumiConn that would take my aluminum cable. These cables are thick, at a 1/4'' in diameter. According to King's site, AlumiConn can only take #18 to #10 wires.

If I don't need an insulated connector, I could get this one https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blackbur...2-10/100172350

Old 12-05-18, 09:10 PM
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
You can use that connector and wrap it with electric tape. However, you will have problem fitting that connectors inside of the junction box you have.

You can also use dual rated split bolt connector.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blackbur...B1-5/100151936

You put one wire under and the other wire over the plate in the middle.

If you put both wires from same direction, it is easier to put inside of the junction box.
Wrap with rubber splicing tape first, then wrap it with electric tape. This makes a good insulation.

Old 12-05-18, 09:57 PM
Group Moderator
You do need an insulated terminal but the ones that come insulated already can be very large.
That splice block you linked to will work but needs to be well taped.

Lambition posted a split bug. That will also work good and needs to be taped.

Old 12-06-18, 05:35 AM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
Hi, any chance you have an attic above this location?
Geo