Ceiling Fan Capacitor Replacement

Old 05-23-01, 12:10 AM
Visiting Guest
A few days ago one of our ceiling fans stopped working. After inspecting it, I realized the capacitor (6uf - 14 uf) and the three-speed switch were fried. I got replacement both parts and have rewired them. Unfortunately, I forgot where one of the capacitor wires went. I was able to wire two of the capacitors wires to the correct place (blue and black). I assumed the third wire was the hot wire and wired it accordingly. After turning the wall switch on I was only able to control the light. The fan switch didn't seem to be working and there was no evident overheating or smoking.

Any suggestions as to why it is not working or where that third wire should go? The seemed to be working before I took down, besides the awful smell and abundant smoke released by both the capacitor and the switch.

-----------------------------
- Black (to L on switch) -
- Black (to hot?)-
- Blue (to 2 on switch) -
-----------------------------

A red wire went to 1 on the switch.

Thanks for your help. I am tempted to just go out and buy a new one, but would really like to fix it to use in a fourth bedroom.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-01, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
If you have another fan of the same brand and model in another room, you can check the connections inside that one.

It's very possible that motor failure killed the cap and switch. I've only had about 25% success rate replacing fan motor capacitors. Their failure has tended to be a symptom of a bigger problem.

Old 05-26-01, 07:14 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Visit http://www.primeline.net/~tait/cfan.html
and see if your fan is like one of those shown.