Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Repair Insulation on Overhead Service Wire Drip Loop - New Jersey PSEG

Old 12-03-18, 08:37 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The insulation is peeling off on the drip loop portion of the overhead service wire to the house (residential) and looks like it should be repaired. This this is wire located just before in enters the weatherhead . In NJ , is this PSEG responsibility or the homeowners ? If it is the homeowners responsibility, was is the best way for the electrician to repair this? Replace the wire or just replace the insulation ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-18, 08:48 AM
Received 48 Votes on 39 Posts
This this is wire located just before in enters the weatherhead . In NJ , is this PSEG responsibility or the homeowners ?

If it is after the splice of service drop to service entrance wiring, it is homeowner's responsibility. If it is before the splice and part of the service drop it is the utility's responsibility. Is it really the insulation peeling off or just the thin mylar jacket outside of the insulation that is peeling off? Can you post a picture? If it's just the mylar it is no big deal.

Old 12-03-18, 12:00 PM
E
It looks like the black insulation is peeling away to me and gray layer is showing. It also looks like drip loop is after the splice and then goes into the weatherhead. Tree has since been pruned away, let me know another clearer pic is needed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138501...in/dateposted/

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 12-03-18 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Add image.
Old 12-03-18, 01:26 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The picture is too far away to tell the extent of the insulation break, but that is your section of wire not the power company. My guess is that it is just a wrinkle and crack of the clear nylon overcoating on the THHN which is not a safety problem. If you're able to get up closer to and take a peek to see if the actual PVC insulation is cracking through to the metal or if it's just the overcoating.

Old 12-03-18, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 83 Posts
My guess is that it is just a wrinkle and crack of the clear nylon overcoating on the THHN which is not a safety problem.
That is also what it looks like to me.

Old 12-12-18, 07:04 PM
E
Thanks for the input. I took a couple additional zoomed pics. Hopefully this will help make things a little clearer. Otherwise I'll have to get on the ladder for a closer look.

Old 12-13-18, 01:14 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Nothing in those pictures looks troubling to me.

Old 12-13-18, 01:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 605 Votes on 570 Posts
THHN/THWN has a protective thermoplastic covering over the actual wire insulation. It looks like just that outer covering cracked. I agree..... nothing to worry about. The white tape looks fairly new on the neutral which signifies that wiring is not that old or the tape would be discolored.