Running 10/3 Over Drywall in Garage

Old 12-03-18, 12:01 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running 10/3 Over Drywall in Garage

Hello Everyone,

I live in NH and I am planning to install transfer switch (30 AMP) for a generator and inlet outside the house attached to garage/side of the house. The electrical box is in the basement (transfer switch as well) in order for me to run the cable outside it needs to go through the garage. I cannot run the cable behind the drywall without a lot of tear down and also part of foundation is blocking so i need to reroute the cable to get it where it needs to go i try to run behind the drywall. My question is:

Can i run 10/3 Armored Cable or flexible conduit all the way from transfer switch to basement then in garage over drywall to inlet box? If not what else would you recommend?

This is the transfer switch i purchased for this project.
Reliance-ProTran2-7500-Watt-Generator-Transfer-Switch-Kit

Thank you for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-18, 01:07 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
This is a question that is up to the discretion of the local inspector. Cables or flexible conduits cannot be installed in areas "subject to damage" without additional protection such as framing or rigid conduits. Some inspectors will view garage walls as subject to damage and some will not. My personal approach is that I do not install cable surface mounted in a garage.

An alternative would be to use EMT or PVC conduit, at least on the sections of the wiring that are below the ceiling height. This would protect the cable from casual damage it might encounter in the garage like a shovel leaning against the wall.

Old 12-03-18, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 208 Votes on 185 Posts
I would recommend running EMT or PVC conduit. FMC would likely also be fine but will be more difficult to install the wires. (Conduit needs to be complete before any wires are installed.)

Old 12-04-18, 12:16 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank you appreciate responses. Just follow up questions;

1- Does it matter whether i use PVC vs EMT? (I prefer PVC) I will run the conduit a little bit higher than 7ft close to ceiling in the garage not sure of that matters.
2- Transfer switch will be installed next to electrical panel in the basement from basement to garage, I am planning to run regular NM-B (Romex) once it enters the garage i will run it inside the conduit. Does it make sense?

Transfer-switch (in the basement) --> Run 10/3 Romex --> Junction Box (over basement/garage door) ---> Regular 10/3 Wire inside the PVC conduit to outside inlet box)

Thank you.

Old 12-04-18, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
1) PVC is easier for DIYers to use. There is no issues using electrical PVC. (The gray stuff, not white)

2) Yes, that sounds fine. Make sure to use large enough PVC. For 10/3 I would recommend 3/4"or 1"

Old 12-05-18, 04:38 AM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
Hi, if that transfer switch is 120/240 you will need 10/4 cable, depending on what your garage is like inside you could run a board from point A to B and clip the 10/4 MC to that.
Geo

Old 12-05-18, 05:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
10-4 would be flexible cable, 10-3 would be a cable.like NM. The ground does not count in NM, it is counted in flex cord.

Old 12-05-18, 06:34 PM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
Hi, 10/4 MC cable would be solid conductors not stranded.
Geo

Old 12-06-18, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Hi, 10/4 MC cable would be solid conductors not stranded.
You can get 10/4 MC (or any MC cable for that matter) with stranded conductors. I also recommend it for anything #10 or larger!