Light switch wiring help

Old 12-03-18, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light switch wiring help

I'm looking to install a smart light switch (TP-Link HS-210), and I'm having a bit of troubles figuring out which wires are what on the old existing light switch.

I couldn't get a decent picture, but attached a drawing I drew up on Paint...
On the light switch I'm wanting to replace (left), there are two black wires going into the back of the switch, a black wire hooked up to the top screw terminal, and another black wire hooked up to the bottom screw terminal which then goes off into the back of another light switch. That other light switch which I'm not replacing has a black wire going into the top screw terminal, and a red wire to the bottom screw terminal.

Hopefully either my wording or the drawing I drew made some sense...There's also white neutral wires in the electrical box not shown in the pic.

When going through the step-by-step instructions to install the new light switch, it's asking for common or line/load wire, traveler wires, and ground wire, Anyone have any idea which wires are which?

Thanks!

Name:  lightswitchwiring.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  37.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-03-18 at 02:48 PM. Reason: labeled diagram
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-18, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's pretty common to see several wires stacked up on a switch. It's very unusual to see two load/light wires.

Take all three line wires off the switch and make them into one splice. Add a short piece of the same size wire to go to the new switch. Take both load wires off the switch, combine them in a splice and add a short piece of wire to go to the other screw terminal.

Old 12-04-18, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the welcome and help!

Are any of my wires traveler wires?
Looking at the back of the new light switch, there are three screw terminals: two screws are labelled "Traveler", and one screw is "Line/Load"

thanks again

Attached Images  
Old 12-04-18, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
Just to confirm........ not including a ground screw....... there are only two screw terminals on your old switch ?
If you only have two screws...... it's a single pole switch.
If you have three screws ..... it's a three way switch.

It looks to me like the TP-Link HS-210 is a dedicated 3W smart switch. In other words in must be used in a three way application. I think you need the HS-200 for single pole operation .

I tried to find technical info online and mostly found videos. So.... you'll need to confirm that the switch you got is the correct one.

Old 12-05-18, 08:17 AM
Hmm, ok...guess it's a single pole switch then.

So having wires go into the back and on the screw terminal is just redundant?
Thought with the many wires attached to it, it must've been a 3 way or something. Good thing I still have the packaging and am within the return time frame

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 12-05-18, 09:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
So having wires go into the back and on the screw terminal is just redundant?
No. It is a lazy man's splice and should be converted to a pigtail. Be sure the wires don't get swapped accidentally or you will have a real headache.