Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need advice on bridging some 12V DC connections within an enclosure

Old 12-03-18, 06:35 PM

I'm working on a 3d Printer enclosure.

Part of this is going to involve running a 12V 3A circuit to the inside of the enclosure to power LED lights, a temperature meter, fan and a voltmeter.

The 12V will be ran from the 3d Printer's power supply and I'll be using a 3A automotive fuse in-line.

Would I be able to use something like this terminal block connector+ bridges to supply power to each of the components? I would install the bridge clip and crimp on spade connectors to the end of the wires for each of the components.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/600V...879826712.html

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-18, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Yes...... that would work fine. There are many different types of barrier strips that will work for you.
You'll find the same ones you linked to at amazon. You'll get them much faster instead of waiting from China.

Old 12-03-18, 07:23 PM
Thanks! I have probably 20 or so other items coming via ali express right now as I'm not in a major rush for this project. The acrylic I'm going to need to finish it is outside of my budget this month.

Old 12-04-18, 01:08 PM
I think I found something that will work even better, allowing me to make things a lot cleaner!. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6-Wa...917389890.html

I would still want to fuse the parent hot wire.

Are you aware of surface mountable ATV fuse holder or a glass fuse that will blow at 12v 4-5A? I could use an inline fuse holder and fasten it down but an actual block would look a lot cleaner.

Also what gauge wire would you recommend for LED light strips?

Old 12-04-18, 01:49 PM
Group Moderator
You have many choices for a fuse holder. I like Bussman stlye glass fuses (AGC, GMA, MDL) as they are cheap and available in numerous amperage ratings including fractions of an amp as well as fast and slow blow.

I am not familiar with ATV fuse. Is that a type of fuse or are you asking about fuses used in ATV's (all terrain vehicles)?

Old 12-04-18, 02:12 PM
You can get those fuse blocks from Amazon or eBay (US sellers) as well for about the same price and will be faster.

Old 12-04-18, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Those are ATC fuses. The same as the larger plastic car fuses. Those will work fine. There's always a lot of confusion over the names of the plastic blade type fuses. I think the panel you linked to is of the ATC style. However..... I think 3A might be the smallest size available in ATC and 2A in the mini ATC or ATM type fuse. Not terribly effective for your sized loads.

Name:  fuse sizes.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  25.4 KB

Old 12-04-18, 07:45 PM
There are glass fuse types as well if needed. But it is bit harder to find because everybody has moved on to plastic ones.

Old 12-05-18, 06:34 PM
I'm thinking of using a fuse holder similar to the one I linked to for distribution and then 3d printing a fuse holder for the Input side so that I can easily surface mount it. Should 18/2 be more then sufficient to power some LED strip lights such as these?
https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Kitc...ed+light+strip

Old 12-06-18, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
Look at the lights you want to install and read or calculate the current draw. Then look online for a wiring sizing chart to find a appropriate wire size for the wattage/amperage you want to carry.