Electrical problems of some sort

Old 12-10-18, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical problems of some sort

Hello, Now that it's cold out we have our heated mattress pad on our bed and on at night. Last night I noticed the heated mattress pad had quit working and my digital clock had shut off. I tried turning on the small light I had on the bedside table and that didn't work. Also the overhead light in that room wasn't working. We had electric in every other room but this one. I was thinking maybe the heated mattress pad had something to do with it, but I don't remember having these problems last year when we used it. I thought maybe it tripped a breaker, but after a while everything started working again. It did all this a few times. Everything would turn on, then turn off. Breakers don't trip then reset themselves right? I'm stumped!
Thanks!
Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-18, 05:55 PM
Received 86 Votes on 79 Posts
You have a loose connection somewhere on the circuit between the panel and dead items. If you can trace the wiring route of the circuit the problem is in the last working device or the first not working device. It could be a switch box as well.
Hint on tacking the circuit; they usually start at the panel and work towards the furthest point.

Old 12-10-18, 05:59 PM
Thanks Joe. I may have to call an electrician. I live in a mobile home so who knows what could have happened. Maybe a mouse chewed something.

Old 12-10-18, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 378 Votes on 355 Posts

Mobile homes have an additional unique problem. They use push in type wire connections that are notorious for going bad. This picture is from another thread here. You can see how the wires are pushed into forked contacts.

Old 12-11-18, 02:02 AM
Thanks Pete! All advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 12-11-18, 04:42 AM
Originally Posted by unclejack
". . . Breakers don't trip then reset themselves right? . . ."
Breakers don't (I don't believe); but I once had some fuses that did that.

Someone put copper pennies inside the fuse receptacle and they oxidized. Upon absorbing moisture, they would short out the power . . . . but then the heat from the short would evaporate the moisture and the power would be re-activated.

It was spooky . . . . and difficult to diagnose too !

Old 12-19-18, 05:37 PM
Hello all, I checked almost all the outlets and one switch. I found what I thought was a loose wire on the outside light wiring, so I fixed that and everything worked, for a week anyway. Then last night everything in that room started shutting on/off again. I was thinking maybe the heated mattress pad had a short in it or something as it seemed to do this every time we used it. Guy at work suggested I plug the mattress pad in to another outlet, which I did tonight. After a few minutes everything started turning on/off again. I then unplugged the pad to see if that mattered. The lights started flashing on and off again. So, it must not be the mattress pad. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Jack

Old 12-19-18, 10:11 PM
Group Moderator
It appears you missed a loose connection on that circuit.
Make sure you checked every location on that circuit for things missed.

Old 12-23-18, 09:38 AM
Thanks Pete! I may have found the problem. I took off the main breaker panel to check out the breakers and found a big mouse nest! I found a neutral wire that was loose, a little black towards the end, and bare in one little spot. It sure looked like the neutral wire that goes to the breaker that powers the area I was having problems with. I also found a white wire that was completely bare for about 3 inches going to a different breaker. I wrapped that up in electrical tape. Is that ok? Thanks a

Old 12-23-18, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
Electrical tape should be fine inside the panel. Need to chase away the visitors. Name:  xmas_eek.gif
Views: 70
Size:  1,016 Bytes

Old 12-23-18, 10:57 AM
Thanks Pete! I appreciate your help. Hopefully I have found the problem. And as you said, I need to get rid of the visitors. I believe the mice just come up the wall and in the round hole where the wires are fed through. I did put electrical tape over the holes the best I could while I was in there.

Old 12-25-18, 05:13 PM
Thanks again Pete! I believe I did fix the problem. Had everything on and no flashing lights or anything. I'm guessing the mice came up through the wall and in to the electrical box via the hole that the wires are fed through on the bottom of the box. Any idea as to what I could use to keep the mice out of the box? Would I dare use like that spray foam insulation around the hole where the wires are fed up through? Thanks as always! Jack

Old 12-25-18, 07:56 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
I'm guessing the mice came up through the wall and in to the electrical box via the hole that the wires are fed through on the bottom of the box. Any idea as to what I could use to keep the mice out of the box? Would I dare use like that spray foam insulation around the hole where the wires are fed up through?

Do you have individual wires running through a raw opening in the panel? If properly installed, a conduit or even a non-metallic cable with the proper connector would not leave a hole big enough for mice to enter the panel box. Can you post a picture taken from inside the panel of that opening?