How To Install Outlets In Conjoining Walls

Old 12-11-18, 07:09 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How To Install Outlets In Conjoining Walls

I am needing to install some additional outlets in my bedroom, but I can not find anything on how to do it with conjoining walls. I have inserted a pic as an example. So the already installed outlet in on the right-hand side and the one I was to install would be on the left. So what I am thinking, since the bedroom is on the top floor, is the run the cable up through the attic and down to where the new outlet is going to be installed. Is this a good idea, or is there a better way I should do it?

Name:  wall.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  28.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-11-18 at 08:43 AM. Reason: enlarged/added pic fron link
Old 12-11-18, 07:20 AM
M
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
I would normally say going through the attic would be easiest, but with a vaulted ceiling like that it could be tricky. Are you sure there is even an attic above that area? Worst case, you'll need to cut two squares out of the drywall at the corner and drill a hole through the studs from each side, then fish the wire through.

I don't see any outlet on the right wall :/

Last edited by mossman; 12-11-18 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
It looks almost like a converted attic where the ceiling is the roof.

In any event..... you would need access to drill the plate to go down the wall.
With a ceiling like that.... you don't usually have access to the plate.

Old 12-11-18, 10:06 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 168 Posts
Getting cables around a corner like that is always a bit of a challenge. You need to drill from each direction and get the cable to make a hard right turn. Since it's the corner of the house, you'll run into 3-4 2x4's you need to go through. Possible, but usually involves some cursing in the process.

I'd at least consider using wire mold if you're going to have furniture there hiding it all anyway. Something like this:

Old 12-11-18, 02:59 PM
What if you removed to baseboard trim.

Old 12-12-18, 10:29 AM
Received 105 Votes on 93 Posts
What if you removed to baseboard trim.

And then what...........drill the studs?

Old 12-13-18, 05:51 AM
J
I've never been in the attic, so I'm not sure if it stops by that curve. I had never thought about that before. I think getting into the attic and looking is probably going to be my first step. If that does not work I would love to hear more about this baseboard idea. I like the idea about hiding the wire since it sounds much easier than drilling the stud, but I'm worried about where the furniture can't hide it. We are getting ready to paint the room darker, so I could see it sticking out like a sore thumb.

Old 12-13-18, 02:25 PM
Yes drill the stud at least you could se them

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: