Light switch wiring

Old 12-11-18, 01:19 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light switch wiring

I installed an outdoor porch light with a camera and I can use the app on my phone to set a timer. So I had a timer on the light switch inside and wanted to replace it with a regular switch. Now I'm not sure what to do with it. The switch on the left controls the living room outlet. It has a yellow and a black and it works fine. The two yellow wires are not connected in the picture but they are now connected with a wire nut.

The old timer/switch has two black wires and I should have paid more attention when taking it off, I forgot what those were connected to and now Iím not sure how to connect the new regular light switch. Any suggestions? Where do the two loose ends of the black wires on the new switch go? I donít have any loose wires to connect them to.

Thanks

Attached Images   
Old 12-11-18, 01:56 PM
J
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
What happens to light when connect and disconnect the yellow wires?
it looks to me like those are the wires that went to the switch and disconnecting them turns the light off.

Old 12-11-18, 02:47 PM
C
Right now if I have the two yellow wires connected nothing happens. Would those happen to be neutrals? When I took off the old timer/switch those two yellow wires were twisted together and capped. I don't remember if anything else was connected to them and I canít remember where those two black wires coming off the switch went.

How would this work? I take one of the black wires from the new switch in the picture above and connect it to the black wire on the switch on the left. Connect the other black wire to the yellow wires that are capped off? (shown separated on the first picture, that yellow wire looks like itís going up through the top of the box to the light right outside). I know, it was dumb to not pay more attention to how it was hooked up before I disconnected the old one. This was just an idea, want to know if it would work or thatís a dumb idea. I just have no idea where those two black wires in the second picture should be connected.

Old 12-11-18, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,347 Votes on 1,245 Posts
Are there two outside lights ?
If there were.... then both yellows get connect together and one timer black wire goes there. The other timer black wire goes to the black splice.

Old 12-11-18, 03:22 PM
C
There are three outside lights, one right by the front door and two on the garage on each side of the door. The switch hooked up in the picture is for the outlet in the living room.

Old 12-11-18, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Ok..... then follow what I posted.

Old 12-11-18, 05:23 PM
C
Thanks Pete, that worked, youíre a genius!

Old 12-11-18, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Good job. Name:  smiley-thumb - S.gif
Views: 37
Size:  1.3 KB Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: