Temporary garage power.

Old 12-11-18, 03:08 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Temporary garage power.

i think I already know the answer to my question but I'm going to ask anyway :-)
Is it possible/safe/legal to run temporary power to my garage for the winter months by running wire through conduit that is above ground? The conduit would pretty much be laying on the ground. I could support it if needed. Right now I run a pair of lead cords out to my garage. Seems to me with snowy weather approaching this may not be the safest way to get electricity out there. I suppose another option would be running a small generator but noise may be a factor.

Old 12-11-18, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
If the ground is frozen, you really do not have much option to run power to the garage. IMO I think it is fine as long as you protect it as best you can (Conduit on the ground is a good option) and make it as safe as you can. As soon as you can install the circuit in the ground you should do so.

As it turns out today I just temp wired a feeder to a parking lot full of pole lights. The underground has failed and with the frozen ground there is no way to get the old wires that have burned up out of the pipe. We ran some triplex up a tree and over the roof of the strip mall to a near by pole and wired it in. It is not pretty but it will get the job done for 3-4 months.

Old 12-13-18, 04:46 AM
T
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of running the conduit into a cellar window. I'll replace the window temporarily with a piece of plywood. I figure doing it this way is way safer than pulling a lead cord thought the snow.

Old 12-13-18, 09:54 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
It's common to see UF cable (outdoor rated) across the ground on construction sites for temporary power, sometimes in PVC conduit where subject to damage. As long as it's reasonably safe from vehicles and other hazards, there's no risk for a temporary solution.

If you want to be extra-safe, you can be sure it's connected to a GFI protected circuit, so if there is a break in the wire, the GFI will trip.

Old 12-13-18, 02:57 PM
T
I'll proably put 2 x 4 's on the side to reduce the chance of crushing the conduit

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: