Wiring a 3way switch

Old 12-12-18, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a 3way switch

I'm trying to replace an existing 3way switch with a wifi version. When I connect the new switch, there's power to the switch (I can see it on wifi), but the switch doesn't do anything. Also the other regular switches that are part of this 3way stop working as well. The only wire i'm sure about is the copper ground wire that connects to the green wire on the switch. I think the black one might be line/load? Not sure. There are two sets of twisted wires. One pair is black and red. The other is white and red.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-18, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The original switch is a 4-way, not a 3-way. You'll want to find one of the 3-way switches on that light circuit and put your wifi switch there. Also, it looks like you took the white wire (a traveler) off the original switch and connected it to the neutral on the new wifi switch? That will not work. You need an actual neutral from the box. Pigtail off the white wires inside the box at the permanent switch location (where the 3-way is).

I'm curious as to why the traveler colors were switched at the 4-way. I suspect you have a white from one cable and black from another tied together inside the box? It's a moot point, since you won't be using that box anyhow. Was just curious.

Last edited by mossman; 12-12-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I came to the same conclusion about this being a 4way. So installed it on one of the 3ways and it's working now. Not sure about the wiring colors (the builder did them this way)

Old 12-12-18, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Glad that you got it working!

Old 12-12-18, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
There are no set colors in a three way/four way circuit.

If the feed is at one three way switch and the light/load is at the other three way switch....... white is carried thru and the red/black are travelers. If it's a three way switch loop (dead end 3w switch)...... power is carried thru to the last switch on black and red/white wires are travelers.