Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Electrical stove top and wall oven on the same 240v junction box.

Old 12-14-18, 05:37 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

You all seem very smart here so I wanted to propose the question. a lot of people say no some say yes and then some reference NEC chart 220.55. Iv did my best to understand this on my own and having a hard time following. Basically every example I've seen for the chart list well over two appliances. The stove top is 9.2kw and the oven is 6.5kw. So basically combined 16kw. Could I wire these in the same junction box together with the 6 AWG wire. Currently 40A breaker, could possibly replace to 50A or 60A as the wire to the junction box could be compatible (per my research) I just wanted to be clear before I try this. I'm in IT and by no means qualified for electrical. So I get some of it, but this is way over my head.

Someone told me 16000w/240v
= 66.6A
No you can’t

But I feel it's unlikely I'd use max amperage at any time. Every burner and Stove all on at full blast at the same time?

Old 12-14-18, 01:52 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Can you let us know what is the wire gauge you currently have and is it copper or aluminum?

Old 12-14-18, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Another problem is that each appliance requires a certain size breaker for protection. Two appliances on a 60A circuit means each one is protected at 60A exceeding the individual requirements.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: