Electrical Overload?

Old 12-18-18, 05:37 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Electrical Overload?

I figured you guys might like to see this. I don't have any background other than what's stated with the pictures, but it sure looks like someone did something wrong. Goes to show that there's a reason for code requirements

(More pictures and commentary in the link)
https://imgur.com/gallery/U2BIJUK

Old 12-18-18, 06:08 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
I see 2 breakers with 3 wires attached. That breaker is designed for maximum of 2 wires.
But this was not the cause of fire.
My guess is same as what he is guessing.

Current to ground probably ran to whatever was plugged to receptacle at the bottom because the panel was never grounded.
There must have been some path to ground to whatever was plugged in the receptacle and burned that as well.

The home owner is lucky nobody got electrocuted (at least it wasn't mentioned).

This would have been prevented if the panel was grounded. It will still fail, but at least the breaker will trip.

Old 12-19-18, 08:57 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Maybe even a lightning hit or a primary to secondary short.

Old 12-19-18, 10:01 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Looking at it again, I can see why the panel heated up if it wasn't grounded. But why the burn marks at the receptacle closer to floor level? Curious.

Old 12-19-18, 12:32 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
Wondering if the lower receptacle was GFCI and the box and conduit at 120v. Maybe internally neutral and ground are on the same circuit board and heated up?
Ignore this - looking closer the bottom receptacle is standard duplex.

Last edited by Astuff; 12-19-18 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Not your typical homeowner install...... too much EMT. Homeowners rarely use conduit.

The little sub panel to the right with NM in MC connectors.
I see a few mysteries.... electric heater connected with MC but wasn't connected at the panel but is now hanging.

Old 12-19-18, 01:37 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
My guess is the sooty plastic goop got blown down all the conduit openings when the fire really started going. Probably caused some residual burning in all the downstream boxes.

The fact that it's not completely melted to slag and didn't burn the building down, it seems like a slower process like oxidation on the aluminum feeders building up a lot of heat until the plastic flashed over. If the incoming main shorted out, that liquifies the metal and burns all through the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: