Feeding a parallel panel from a disconnect?

Old 12-20-18, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Feeding a parallel panel from a disconnect?

Good day, this is my first post to this forumn and hopefully, I'll find the answer I need here.

I have 200 amp service coming into my garage through a Siemens JN-324 200 amp fused disconnect switch and then continuing into my home where the 200 amp breaker box is located. I would like to come off of both branches of the discount switch to feed a smaller panel for my garage. The panel will feed a welder and compressor. I know that I can feed a sub box from the main box inside but I do not want the hassle. The disconnect switch says "suitable for use as service equipment and has 200 amp buss fuses on each branch. Am I allowed to add a double lug off of each branch and feed a second box parraleel to the main? I am looking for a cheaper alternative to installing a full 200 amp panel in the garage and feeding the main as a sub or feeding a sub in the garage from the main.

Thanks!
Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-18, 12:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Are the existing feeds three wires or four? Where is the GEC -- bare copper wire that ground to the earth via ground rods or water main?

Old 12-20-18, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 371 Votes on 348 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Pictures of the inside of the panel/disconnect you want to tap into would be very helpful.
How-to-insert-pictures

Old 12-25-18, 06:01 AM
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
Note: The " Siemens JN-324 200 amp fused disconnect" being the first whole house disconnect means, counts as your service panel or "main panel." Both your basement panel and the new garage panel are considered subpanels and need to be (have been) fed with 4 conductor cable for hot, hot, neutral, and ground.

The grounding electrode conductors for your house come out of the box with that Siemens disconnect to go to ground rods, etc.