Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

One of my breaker switches keeps periodically tripping; I don't cause it to trip

One of my breaker switches keeps periodically tripping; I don't cause it to trip

Old 12-24-18, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy One of my breaker switches keeps periodically tripping; I don't cause it to trip

Thankfully it's one I don't use that often, but I don't do anything to trip it and it randomly trips a few hours after I reset it.

It's the breaker that controls a few outlets along my kitchen wall.

I noticed one time that nothing plugged in was working, so I went to the garage and turned the switch off and on again. The little "reset" red light blinks and then I press that and it trips it again and then I switch it off and then on and then it seems to be normal.

Then, I don't do anything, and in few hours, lo and behold, it will trip again.

I don't plug anything in that overloads the currents, so I'm confused on why this happens.

Also, how would an electrician even begin to figure out how to fix this? Do electricians know what goes on behind the walls of my house? I hesitate to call an electrician because 1) it's a sporadic problem and I might not be able to replicate it if he/she comes over and 2) I don't want the electrician to be cutting up the walls of my house to inspect the wires (expensive) if there's an easier fix.

Thanks, guys.

PS: This is a new home. Brand new for us (nobody lived here before), and we've only been here for 2.5 years.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-18, 08:21 AM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
So this is a GFI breaker? Breakers can go bad.... Don't plug anything into that circuit and see if it goes without tripping.

Old 12-24-18, 08:32 AM
Are you referring to a gfi outlet? Or a gfi breaker? Both can go bad.

Old 12-24-18, 09:23 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
2) I don't want the electrician to be cutting up the walls of my house to inspect the wires (expensive) if there's an easier fix.

It would be extremely rare to have a problem inside the walls that could not be accessed if the house was built and inspected to the NEC.

It's the breaker that controls a few outlets along my kitchen wall.

That sounds like it is a GFCI breaker or dual function breaker (GFCI and AFCI), but a picture could confirm it. I'd probably start by disconnecting the load wires from the breaker to see if it trips again. If it does it's a bad breaker and the breaker should still be under warranty.

Old 01-01-19, 05:53 PM
This May Be More Serious Than you Think

You breaker sounds like an Arc fault breaker that is sensing an arc in your electrical system.

You need to call an electrician. Its probably nothing. But an electrician needs to look at it.

Old 01-01-19, 09:08 PM
Just a random idea, though you didn't mention any lighting in your problems' description, I manage multiple properties, and several of them are pretty new. As mentioned in another post, there are some new arc fault breakers out there which cause numerous problems. I have encountered these breakers tripping anytime a LED lightbulb was turned on as they circuitry within the bulb doesn't mesh with the arc fault breaker. I also had a situation in which an electrical hypothesized the arc fault breaker was picking up wrong wiring in an adjacent home and kept tripping.
Just some food for thought. If you do in fact have some LED bulbs on that breaker, swap them out for some old incandescents or FCL's.

Old 01-02-19, 07:08 AM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Hi, fit the Red LED on the breaker blinks there should be a code as to what the problem is. What mfg. is the panel, Eaton? https://www.thegeekpub.com/11511/eat...-flashing-red/
Geo

Old 01-02-19, 06:30 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
Interesting that the OP has never returned since the original post 9 days ago. This must not be a huge issue.