Help needed with sub panel

Old 12-25-18, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help needed with sub panel

hello guys im outside clarksville tn its difficult to find anyone that wants to work!,,,,i have called 3 electricians 3 didnt show up!....finally i started running 1 1/4 pvc conduit..from main panel to my shipping container shop......took a few days....then i decided to pull the wire thru hoping an electrician would show up!....well...here i am....i have (2) #2 awg gauge wires, also (1) #4 wire and (1)#6.....this is what i was told i need.....at this point i think i should just finish the job!...if someone can help me with a diagram to hook thes wires to a sub panel? also i need to know whatsub panel i need everything is ready to go!!...sorta excited to get my welder going...youtube channel is xxxx xxxx xxxxx for anyone interested or anyone who can help

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 12-25-18 at 01:36 PM. Reason: removed Youtube promo
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-18, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
You'll need a 2P100A breaker for the main - supply panel.
You'll need a 100A sub panel with a main breaker and whatever breakers you need for your loads.
You'll need a separately purchased ground bar for the sub panel.
You'll need at least one ground rod for the sub panel.

A package from depot..... Eaton-100-Amp-20-Space-20-Circuit-Indoor-Main-Breaker-Loadcenter

Old 12-25-18, 02:32 PM
hey thanks pj! your awesome!....i see a bunch of panels on ebay they say "main lug"...????? all i need is a small inexpensive panel also the neutral? something bout keeping it separate? im an idiot when it comes to electric i need a picture...lol....also....do i buy 100 amp breakers for main>? im confused to all this.....all my wires are black!

Old 12-25-18, 02:58 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
In a subpanel the main breaker actually is used as the disconnect required if you have more than six breakers. The panel comes with the main breaker installed in a special place designed for it. Main lug panels do not have that space. There is a way to add a main breaker to a main lug but it is not the best choice and will probably cost more.

Old 12-25-18, 06:53 PM
cool ray...now my only question is all my wires are black.....so it doesnt matter with the 2 #2 wires which goes where? they both go on the 2 studs up top? also im assuming the next fattest wire which is #4 is neutral>? and the skinniest is ground? heres a video Link redacted,

Old 12-25-18, 06:58 PM
Your hots ate interchangable. Your neutral must be marked on both ends with bands of white tape (or other methods such as paint). Ground should be green insulated or bare. Wires #6 and smaller can't be remarked ground.

Old 12-25-18, 08:05 PM
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
so it doesnt matter with the 2 #2 wires which goes where? they both go on the 2 studs up top?

Not to studs, but to the 100 amp main breaker lugs in the subpanel.

Old 12-28-18, 04:39 AM
it appears if you look at the main panel that the neutral and ground are on the same bar....however in sub they are separate is this correct? im pulling the trigger today im scared i wont lie....i will turn the breakers on with a broom handle just in case

Old 12-28-18, 05:34 AM
it appears if you look at the main panel that the neutral and ground are on the same bar....however in sub they are separate is this correct?
Yes, that is correct. And in the sub the green bonding screw is NOT used in the neutral bar.And in the ds