Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Advice / Tips for pulling 350' of #1 copper THHN through 1 1/2 Schedule 40

Old 12-28-18, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Background

I need to connect my pump house to the 200 Amp main panel in my shop. I am going to put a 60 Amp sub-panel in the pump house that is about 350' away.

To keep under 3% voltage drop @ 350' for 60 amp breaker, I am going to pull three conductors of #1 AWG stranded copper THHN and one ground conductor of #10 AWG stranded copper THHN.

I know that the copper wire is going to cost big $$$, but running a new service to the pump house location is not an option

Looking for Advice / Tips

I know that three #1 and and 1 #10 wires in 1 1/2 schedule 40 PVC is within code, but it also seems like this might be a tricky pull.

So I am looking for any tips or advice from those that have attempted something like this before so I can learn from the masters / not make rookie mistakes.

In addition to your tips / tricks here are some specific questions about my pull…

1. There are some gradual bends in the 350' run, but only one actual 90deg radius fitting, located near one end of the conduit. Should I start the pull from the end with the 90deg to get it over early OR should I start with the straight end and save getting through the 90 for the end of the pull?

2. Am I going to need mechanical pulling assistance? I will have hydraulic equipment (like excavator) on site and just wonder if pulling with hydraulic force (if necessary) would be a problem. Or I could pony up some more money and rent a Greenlee Puller (something like the UT2 is available to rent near me).

3. Speaking of pull rope, is there any particular type that people feel is superior? Happy to pay a bit more, if it means an easier pull.

Again, any other advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by NeonKnight; 12-28-18 at 03:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-18, 02:46 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Old 12-28-18, 03:45 PM
Thanks, I saw that one and picked up the "run a rag through" trick. I am going to do that for sure.

The comment about the bell-ends didn't say if you should run towards the bell ends or with them, but not sure that matters, it seems like starting with where I have my 90deg or ending with that would matter more.

Do you have a though on that (start or end with where the 90deg is)?

Old 12-28-18, 03:55 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't have experience pulling wire over those lengths, but I'm inclined to say end (meaning pull from the end with) with the 90. Easier to manipulate the wire when you're standing next to it. Curious if going with 2" pipe would make any noticeable difference.

Old 12-28-18, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
Try not to be pulling thru an elbow. It's the pulling of the rope thru the elbow that melts it.
Typically I'll put a metal elbow at the end I'm pulling from.

Get a gallon of pulling compound/soap and use lots of it.

Old 12-28-18, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
When you up the size of ungrounded conductors you are also required to increase the size of the ground. That means you need a #6 copper for the ground.

I would think an excavator would be good to help pull. I also agree with using a steel 90.

If you haven't installed the pipe I would use 2"

Old 12-28-18, 06:47 PM
Received 33 Votes on 27 Posts
Your pump house needs 60A? Seems like alot to run a pump.

Old 12-28-18, 07:44 PM
It is a bit more involved.

There is the pump in the well that fills a 500 gal cistern. Then there is a pump that pressurizes the water line (via a pressure tank). There is also a filter system that has a UV light component. Finally there is a small electric heater to keep the pump house from freezing in the winter.

I don't have the full specs on the well pump but the cistern pump I got requires a dedicated 20A circuit (for start up). So I am treating the pump in the well the same.

:-)

Old 12-28-18, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

OK, good to know that the ground needs #6.

The conduit was installed by contractor a few years ago when the utilities were brought into the site. So stuck with the 1 1/2 unfortunately.

However, it would be easy to dig up the one end and install the steel 90, that seems like a really good plan. Don't want to melt the conduit.

Old 12-28-18, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
It is a bit more involved.

There is the pump in the well that fills a 500 gal cistern. Then there is a pump that pressurizes the water line (via a pressure tank). There is also a filter system that has a UV light component. Finally there is a small electric heater to keep the pump house from freezing in the winter.

I don't have the full specs on the well pump but the cistern pump I got requires a dedicated 20A circuit (for start up). So I am treating the pump in the well the same.

:-)
It is interesting to consider just doing a 40 amp box.

I don't think that will be enough if the heater is operating and both pumps start at the same time, but that seems like hitting the start up draw of both pumps simultaneously would never happen.

40 Amp would be nice because I could then use #4 copper, save a ton of money on the wire and I am sure that would be a much easier pull.

I will have to hit up the will drilling company and see if I can get the model number of the pump so I can check the draw. I know it is a 1/2 hp 230 V pump, so that is only like 5 amps. Just don't know what the max amps during start up is. I was going to put it on a 20 amp dedicated circuit just to be safe (and that is easy in my setup).

Old 12-28-18, 08:00 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Looking for Advice / Tips

For a 350 foot pull, consider using 2" conduit rather than 1 1/2". Buy Simpull wire from Southwire and you won't need pulling lubricant.

Old 12-29-18, 06:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
40 Amp would be nice because I could then use #4 copper, save a ton of money on the wire and I am sure that would be a much easier pull.
On the same thought, I would figure out what the actual load will be and then calculate what size wire you will need for voltage drop based on that. using the full circuit rating (20 amp or 60 amp) will artificially inflate what you need because you do not use the full rating of the feeder. Motors will draw about 3 times of running current at startup, but only for a short amount of time.