Difference between WR GFI and standard GFI?

Old 12-29-18, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Difference between WR GFI and standard GFI?

Other than a ten dollar difference, and "WR" stamped on the front, is there any REAL difference between a GFI marked as water resistant and a standard GFI? Upon close examination, they appear identical in every way, same materials, same construction. Thanks guys.
Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-18, 03:55 PM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
The materials are different. The WR has corrosion resistant metal parts. WR stands for "weather resistant".

Old 12-29-18, 04:47 PM
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
WR (Weather Resistant) GFCI has a cover over the opening to keep water out. It is similar to temper resistant, but just has some added water protection feature.
Not sure of it being corrosion resistant. The ones I have seen didn't really corrode any different from the regular one. Might depends on the manufacturer.

Old 12-29-18, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Basically another moneymaking gimmick for the manufacturers.
The WR rated devices fail just as fast outside as the non WR ones.

Old 12-29-18, 09:38 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks guys. PJ confirms what I was thinking.
Andy

Old 12-29-18, 09:48 PM
Look up the manufacturer's specs instead of going by someone's guessing.

Old 12-29-18, 11:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
I'm not guessing. Yes..... they may be constructed of "weatherproof" type materials but I've changed more WR receptacles in condos then standard receptacles. For the price difference...... especially the GFI devices.... they should last longer but don't. A proper in use cover does more for preserving the longevity.

Old 12-30-18, 09:02 AM
I was talking about the guessing about the materials the WR are made of. Mechanically the WR receptacle is no different and will wear out and break just like a standard receptacle. The only difference is the plastic is more UV tolerant and the metal parts are coated to help prevent corrosion. They are by no means weatherproof. I've seen plenty standard receptacles used outdoors that the connection screws and plug contacts are rusted. Any WR I've replaced has been from breakage because of wear and tear, not corrosion. A good cover is a must.

Old 12-31-18, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
According to the Eaton/Cooper specification book, it looks like the major differences are that standard receptacles are polypropylene & nylon with brass and zinc plated steel components. The WR receptacles are PVC & nylon with brass & nickel plated stainless steel components. The mounting strap and contacts appear to be slightly thicker, anywhere from 3 to 10 thous depending on which specific part you're looking at. It also shows slightly greater acceptable temperature range for the WR devices which is roughly plus and minus 10C versus the non-WR version of the same device, most likely due to the different mix of polymers.