Question About Disconnecting Very Old Stove

Old 12-29-18, 10:44 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question About Disconnecting Very Old Stove

Hi, my parents have a 56 year old house (in Ontario, Canada) and an even older stove from the 1940s or 50s- Crossley/Moffat which belonged to my grandparents and was transferred here about 15 years ago. I want to get rid of the stove (which still works), in fact I HAVE to get rid of it since we're ripping up the asbestos tiles in the kitchen and putting down ceramic. My question is, how do I safely disconnect this stove such that the tile removers who are also going to remove the stove from the house can safely do so. When I pull the stove out, there's an armoured cable coming from a hole in the floor which is hard wired to the stove. If I pull the breaker for the whole house (just to be safe), how long do I have to wait until I can disconnect the wires on the back of the stove? Will the wires still be hot? Also, what do I do with the 2 foot armoured cable to keep it safe for the workers while removing the tiles around it?

I won't be getting a new stove for a while, and of course will hire an electrician to do the intall since it will require rewiring for an outlet plug and possible pony box work (hopefully not replacement, though). But I didn't want to spring for an electrician just to have the thing disconnected for the tile workers. I will try to add a couple of photos when I get the stove moved out further. In the meantime any advice would be greatly appreciated since I hope it doesn't turn out that the stove removal might be holding up the tiling job.

thanks

Last edited by Wonder30; 12-29-18 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Adding more information
Old 12-29-18, 10:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since the cable comes thru the floor..... it would appear to originate in the basement. There should be a dedicated means to turn it off in your panel. Could be fuses or circuit breaker. Takes a few pictures of what you have there so we can offer more detailed help....... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 12-30-18, 05:33 AM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
Once you pull the fuse or turn off the breaker for that circuit or for the whole house the cable is dead and can be worked with immediately.

But you have to be sure you got the proper breaker or fuse for just the stove since the tile workers might need electricity (from other circuits and receptacles) to do their work.

You will have to figure out whether the cable is re-usable and if not you can yank it out completley after the other end in the electric panel has also been disconnected and the ends withdrawn from there.

Old 12-30-18, 05:53 AM
C
Received 25 Upvotes on 22 Posts
To answer one of your other questions, you can disconnect the stove as soon as you shut down the breaker or fuse. Electrically "hot" is a slang term that means power is flowing- the connections themselves may be warm but are not temperature hot, so you can disconnect the stove as soon as power is off.

The armored cable is conduit for the wires that supply the stove. Hard to say without seeing it, but you can likely just leave it in its place for the floor install. The electrician will need access for new wires, and may remove and replace it.

I wonder if it would be a good idea for the electrician to see it and maybe install the new receptacle before the floor gets installed. That way he can install according to building and electrical codes without conflict with the floor installers. I'd hate to hear him say "the only way i can get wiring here is through the brand new floor".

Good luck with your renovation!

Old 01-08-19, 04:20 PM
W
Re question about disconnecting very old stove

Thanks again for all the replies. I took a couple of people here's advice to get the stove dealt with before the tile work is done. I had an electrician come out and put an outlet in with the intention of buying a new stove later to plug into it, but am now wondering if this previously hard wired old stove can have a cord and plug put on it so I can continue to use it. I've seen some videos of vintage appliance collectors putting old stoves in modern homes, but haven't seen the actual connections. I'll include some photos in this or a follow up post.

Old 01-08-19, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Yes..... you can buy range cords in varying lengths that will work on most electric ranges.
Range cords

Old 01-08-19, 04:28 PM
W
Thanks for the quick reply. But how do I get into the advanced mode here so I can submit some photos?

Old 01-08-19, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Directly below my reply will be a reply box for you. Just below that you should see POST QUICK REPLY and GO ADVANCED. You'd want to click on the go advanced box. This works from most tablets, laptops and desktop computers. Not from all phones.

Old 01-08-19, 06:51 PM
W
Unfortunately I don't see post quick reply or advanced settings. All I see is a bunch of editing options under the word Message. When I choose the landscape icon it will only allow me to enter a link or URL to a photo. Unless this is how it's supposed to be.

Old 01-08-19, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Are you trying from a phone ?

Old 01-08-19, 07:39 PM
W
No, it's a Samsung Android tablet.

Old 01-08-19, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
I sent you a Private message. The link is at the top of every page.

Old 01-08-19, 08:17 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
An Android phone is an Android tablet. It doesn't work on my Android tablet either.

Old 01-09-19, 02:37 PM
T
Received 197 Upvotes on 173 Posts
Don't trash that old stove!

Don't trash that old stove! There is someone out there that would love to get hold of it. Advertise it as "Classic", "Vintage", "Collector's dream", etc. You'll probably be surprised at what you can get for it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: