Figuring out my first house's wiring. Help

Old 12-30-18, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Figuring out my first house's wiring. Help

Hi there,

I purchased a home this past year and I am trying to make some changes and clean things up.

The home was built in the late 60's and is in Vinton, VA. I've learned a ton about electrical stuff recently but i've come to the conclusion that a lot of stuff in this house was probably done DIY and probably not all that correctly. Trying to bring things into modern code and modernize the house.

Part of this initiative is learning what is what and what I can remove or modify.

For pictures 2597-2603:
The first wire I am investigating is shown in some pictures I am attaching. It is in the basement and was kind of tucked into the floor molding. It is exposed on one end. The wire runs along the molding to part of an old bar where it strips into 2 wires which pass into the old bar piece, reconnect to the sheathing, and then run upwards to the first floor. I did some measurements and I think it runs up beneath an outlet on the first floor.

So, I don't think I need this wire as there are no outlets on that wall or anything. Does it look like a power wire? if I want to remove it, do I just go into the outlet on the first floor and detach it? I assume it's probably jumped from that outlet? Any advice is appreciated.

For pictures 2604-2608:
I pulled this ancient speaker thing off the wall and threw it away. It has some thin wires that ran through the wall into the laundry room (all in the basement) and looks like it attached to a pair of wires in picture 2604. I cut those and pigtailed it together (just as a temp thing). Those wires run accross the ceiling in the laundry room and then run into this odd device which I have no clue what is there for.

Is this some kind of speaker system or something? If so, I think I may just remove it all.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Name:  IMG_2597.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2598.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2599.JPG
Size:  158.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2600.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  79.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2601.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  110.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2602.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2603.JPG
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2604.JPG
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2607.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2608.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  131.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-30-18 at 02:20 PM. Reason: cropped/reduced/labeled pics
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-18, 12:59 PM
Eh, didn't realize it would embed the pictures. the first question is related to all the pictures except for the last 3 which are for the second question.

Old 12-30-18, 02:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That flat ovalish cable is 300 ohm antenna twinlead. That would have connected to an antenna at one time. That is all outdated and can be removed. Coax will replace that type of wire. I labeled some of the pictures. One is of the telephone block.

Old 12-30-18, 03:23 PM
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
That is very strange to have alligator clips on telephone demarc. That should only be used for temporary testing purpose.

You can remove any wire that is not is use or probably even the ones you cannot find the other end.

It might be a worthwhile to run new coax cables in the wall or ceiling before you move in. Makes it much cleaner than running them outside.

Old 12-30-18, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
That is very strange to have alligator clips on telephone demarc.
Not really. I used to have all kinds of stuff on mine even way back when ..... when it was forbidden to even look at that block.

How are you getting phone service..... cable, Ma Bell, ??

Old 12-30-18, 05:55 PM
Not even sure, I don't currently pay for a landline nor will I eve at this point. I am trying to clean up whatever I can of the old wiring. I assume the DMARC is the first big hop for the phone line coming into the house? Can I remove anything downstream of that?

Old 12-30-18, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
If you don't have wired service then that demarc block is dead. It's still connected to the telephone pole but is not supplying you with service. If there is wiring inside the house that is not run inside the walls and is connected there.... I'd remove that but I wouldn't cut any phone wiring that goes into the walls.

Old 01-02-19, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all the help! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I continue overhauling the electric work!