Wireless 3 way switches

Old 12-31-18, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless 3 way switches

Anyone have any experience with products like this? Wireless switches that do not use wifi? I have an existing 3 way switch in our bedroom which controls and electric outlet. I want the switches to control the ceiling light instead. Thinking this may be a solution, rather than running new wire, working in the attic, patching drywall x 3 bedrooms.

https://www.amazon.ca/RunLessWire-3-.../dp/B01JJVN0FM

Ps. No way I would pay these prices, but would if they were under $200 and worked well.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-18, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Yes I've used them. They're reasonable, but not quite the same experience as a wired switch. Notably there is a delay between the switch flip and the light turning on, but it's something you can get used to. Occasionally the receiver will miss the switch signal and you'll have to flip the switch another time or two, but in my experience it's fairly rare.

The price for a basic remote switching set should be around $50-100. You usually have to buy the switch and the receiver unit separately. I would stick to the major brands like Insteon, Lutron, Leviton you can get at Home Depot or similar. Amazon has a lot of imported cheaper electrical devices that are not certified for safety by UL or CSA which I don't feel comfortable installing and technically violate code and insurance regulations.

Old 12-31-18, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 380 Votes on 357 Posts
Not sure what the deal is with that vendor but just because you see it on amazon doesn't make it cheaper. Always check every vendor. This vendor is selling the same item for $169 and no shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/RunLessWire-3...ews/B01JJVN0FM

This kit will do what you want but there will be wiring inside the attic as there is a module/receiver to be installed.

I have a Hunter ceiling fan with light in my bedroom. It's my sole source of light. I have a wireless Hunter remote sitting in a Hunter supplied wall holster mounted at the door and a second remote that sits on my night table. Does exactly what is needed. No extra wiring.