need help identifying this panel

Old 12-27-18, 11:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
need help identifying this panel

hey guys its den from west tennesse homestead on youtube
we bought this little fixxer upper home and came to find out the panel cover is missing on the panel....i took a picture and want to buy a panel cover for safety right now there is just a louver wood door on it....can anyone tell me what model or what cover to buy to make this safe? i was going to make one out of aluminum but it will be a pain to cut out all the breaker slots....god bless and happy new year!
thanks guys!

Name:  panel.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  380.3 KB

Name:  panel -C.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  279.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-27-18 at 11:23 AM. Reason: cropped/resized/reoriented pic and added close up pic
Old 12-27-18, 11:23 AM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
Unless you have a time machine you are not likely to be able to buy a cover even with the exact part number. Looks like an old ITE/Siemens 30 space / 40 circuit.
Easier to replace it.

Then again, older version but should work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ITE-G3040MB...UAAOSwznxcIkRd

Old 12-27-18, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i see myself getting killed trying to swap out this box...wires coming in from top and bottom...lol rolmao....what would be the average charge from an electrician to just swap out the box for a new one?

Old 12-27-18, 01:28 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
Pricing varies widely and based on your location. Replacing a main panel usually involves working with the utility company, inspections and bringing things up to code. A craigslist trunk slammer might do it for a couple hundred but a pro going through all the details might be a couple grand after seeing what the rest of the service looks like.

Old 12-28-18, 06:17 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Looks like an old ITE/Siemens 30 space / 40 circuit.

I think you can forget Siemens, more like an old Gould/ITE panel. You'll never find a replacement cover. There are some companies that will make a new custom replacement cover, but replacement would probably be less expensive.

Old 01-01-19, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
That panel was pretty popular when it was new. If you have a used electricial equipment dealer in your area you might be in luck. Otherwise, as the others have posted, you will likely need to replace the panel.

Old 01-01-19, 05:25 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I'd consider giving an electrician a call to get a quote to replace. It's obviously an old panel and in my opinion, it would be worth the cost to replace. It shouldn't be a huge expense as there aren't a lot of breakers, etc.

If you can find an old cover, that's great, otherwise, a replacement is a good solution.

Old 01-02-19, 11:58 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I have had a few cases in the past where I had a local metal fabricator make a cover for me. It's certainly not free, but will be less than replacing the panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: