Where to install new electric meter..

Old 01-05-19, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to install new electric meter..

Do you have to put a new electric meter right next to or under your breaker box? I have a new addition and the main breaker box is on the inside hallway wall on the back side of the house. Do I have to mount the meter box next to it or can I mount the meter on the front of the house and run the main electric wire in conduit going to my breaker box in the back of the house?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-19, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
The conductors between the meter and main panel are unfused so they are required to be as short a possible to the main disconnect. If the meter is not near the main panel, a disconnect with overcurrent protection can be installed next to the meter to meet the requirement. This can be as simple as an outdoor box with a single breaker with the same rating as the existing panel. The other option would be to run conduit on the outside of the building as unfused conductors are allowed on the outside.

The other benefit of installing a disconnect next to the meter is this disconnect would be considered the main panel. That means you can run the conductors through the house using a cable if desired.

Old 01-05-19, 07:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
The power company can tell you where they will allow the meter to be set. You need to check with them

Once the conductors have overccurrent protection they can be located anywhere to go to a subpanel.

Old 01-05-19, 01:00 PM
Received 115 Votes on 105 Posts
I believe the "as short as possible" requirement is for the conductors "entering" the house. So if they stay outside it might be possible.

Old 01-06-19, 06:48 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
I second what pcboss said about calling the power company.

But my question is if this is an addition to your house (I would assume a single family house) why are you installing another meter? Maybe I am not understanding something here. Is this addition attached to your home or a separate structure? If you are replacing an existing meter why are you relocating its location then? If this is an attached addition then you should be running a sub panel form the main panel if anything.