Feeding off a GFCI

Old 01-06-19, 09:50 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Feeding off a GFCI

I am installing an Aprilaire 700 Humidifier, which has a fan you have to plug into a receptacle. The Humidifier is attached directly to the furnace. I did not have a receptacle by the furnace area and it was also very dimly lit in that spot of the storage room so I wired in a regular receptacle, switch and two lights. I plan on building a wall later to make the furnace room separate from storage anyway so that is why I added the switch and lights.

Now, I have no access to feed the power other than from the adjoining bathroom boxes, which contain three switches and a GFCI outlet. I figured since the Aprilaire humidifier involved water, I would feed the power to the new circuit from the GFCI load terminals from the bathroom , that way the receptacle the humidifier is on is also protected by the GFCI. The bathroom has two lights and a fan along with the GFCI.

Are there any issues with this? It is working fine of course, just wondering if there is an issue pulling from the GFCI, although from what I have read that is what the load terminals are for. Otherwise the only other option I can find is if I pull the power from a receptacle from the living room.

Last edited by PJmax; 01-06-19 at 10:50 PM. Reason: removed duplicate text and duplicate pic
Old 01-06-19, 10:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Not sure what the CEC says up there but here you cannot extend a bathroom GFI circuit outside the bathroom. The power for the 700 should be coming off the furnace.

Old 01-06-19, 11:09 PM
R
Yeah I am thinking that too now and I have looked in to it more. I may run a difference line elsewhere. The 700 has a 120VAC plugin for the powered fan so I need a receptacle for it.

Old 01-07-19, 01:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
If you have a service switch at the furnace...... swap it for a switch/receptacle combo.

Old 01-07-19, 05:25 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
No problem pulling power from the bathroom circuit in Canada. The limit is 12 outlets per circuit. You can not exceed more than 12 lights, fans, receptacles per circuit.

Old 01-07-19, 07:14 AM
R
Oh perfect, Yeah I was reading and noticed some of the stuff I was coming up with said I can't pull from bathroom but that was American. I was going to check code today for Canada. Thank You.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: