Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

spilled water on electrical outlet. Sparked then no power on 3 outlets

spilled water on electrical outlet. Sparked then no power on 3 outlets

Reply

  #1  
Old 01-06-19, 11:21 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
spilled water on electrical outlet. Sparked then no power on 3 outlets

Hello,

I am new to home ownership and looking for help on small electrical issues.
My son spilled water on an electrical outlet. He said it sparked and then there was no power to the appliances anymore. Appliances are fine, but there is no more power coming from the outlets near the one he spilled water on.
Nothing looks burnt (wiring or sockets), so I am assuming the sockets themselves are shot.
How do I proceed to determine te true cause of the problem?

Thanks, and happy new year to all
Daryl
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-06-19, 11:29 AM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 6,606
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
The spilled water was the cause of the problem. The result was loss of power to the receptacles.

Check the service panel to see if the breaker for that circuit is tripped.
 
  #3  
Old 01-06-19, 12:18 PM
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 8,601
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Look around for a tripped GFCI Could ba almost amy place but usual places are bathrooms, garage or kitchen.
 
  #4  
Old 01-06-19, 01:53 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 54,652
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
It is very rare to see sparks caused by just a water spill. Was this a floor receptacle ?
If this is a GFI protected circuit..... there would have been no sparks. The GFI would have tripped first.

You will likely need to determine everything on the dead circuit to figure out where the power is getting lost. Is this a kitchen circuit ?
 
  #5  
Old 01-07-19, 05:55 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you all.

The sockets are not GFCI. I still have to determine to which breaker they are connected. Some of the breakers are GFCI.
This situation happened in the basement. Not a kitchen circuit.

Here is an additional question:
There are 3 double socket outlets that are affected. I see a total of 5 wires (yellow jacketed) going into the wall, but only 3 going to the breaker box. Am I going to have to tear up my basement to find a junction box?
 
  #6  
Old 01-07-19, 06:29 AM
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 8,601
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
No the place with 2 cables is (most likely) where the power from breaker box enters and branches off from there or where a switched light or outlet goes. Look for a loose wire connection or any back stabbed wires. Places we usually find problems. Any wire nutted connections need to be checked and back stabbed wires need to be moved to screws. Problem will be in first dead outlet or last live one. Sparks sound like a wire came loose and contacted ground someplace in that outlet.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: