Where to get a 5.9VDC power adapter?

Old 01-06-19, 05:27 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Question Where to get a 5.9VDC power adapter?

I bought an Insignia NS-HDRAD2 on eBay but the seller included the wrong power adapter and shipped me another one which was the wrong one again so basically the seller told me to pound sand (Stopped replying to my messages).

Anyway 5.9VDC @ 1A seems to be an odd ball requirement. The device takes 4 AA batteries which should be around 6VDC (For fresh alkaline AA's)

The only place I have found the proper adapter costs more then I paid for the radio (I only paid $15 for it). The adapters I did get were 5VDC 500MA and the other one was also a 5VDC but 1A.

I want to get the proper adapter but I do not want to spend more then I paid for the radio.

So which would be a better choice to use out of the adapters I already have? I am thinking of using the 6VDC one but I want reassurance that it is safe for the radio

I have (In my junk box full of power adapters)

6VDC @ 2.0A , 5VDC @ 0.5A,1A,4A (Separate adapters but all 5VDC) 9VDC @.05A.

I also have a bunch of 12VDC at various current ratings but I don't dare use one of those as I will surely damage the radio

The power plug is a standard 5.5MM x 2.1MM Center positive

Thanks

PS: I noticed on the Best Buy site the picture of the back of the radio says 9VDC so I am totally confused as which adapter to use

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-19, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What does the back of YOUR radio say? If it says 5.9VDC...I'd start with the 5VDC 1A and see if it performs ok (no crackling or cutting out at higher volumes). If it does those things...then try the 6VDC adapter. If no joy or your's is labeled 9VDC, then go straight to the 9V you have (assuming you meant it was 0.5A..not .05) and it should work fine.

I've never had an issue starting low, then working up. Often found that items labeled 12V work fine with a 9V adapter...or labeled 16 works with a 12. Even have one item that says it takes 24V but works fine with a 14. Only issue is if the item uses rechargeable batteries...then you want to be as exact as possible to ensure they charge correctly.

Old 01-06-19, 05:54 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No battery charger and the back of my radio says 5.9VDC. and I just tried the 5VDC @ 1A adapter and the radio works fine at all volume levels

Old 01-07-19, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
BOOM! Sometimes, no need to overthink. Start low, no harm no foul.