9" craftsman table saw wiring schematic

Old 01-09-19, 11:28 AM
Smile 9" craftsman table saw wiring schematic

Folks, I was wondering if anyone out there can help me with the wring schematic for an old craftsman 9" table saw 113242721? The switch box wiring blew out and I'm trying to rewire a new one in. Unfortunately many of the wires got burned, so I'm having trouble reconnecting new switch assembly. What I have 3 wires coming from motor (red, black and white) and from the plug assemble I have three wires (green, black and white). within the control box assembly there is a capacitor (two connection pints) and some type or relay stater that has three connection points. I'm assuming that one wire (black) of the power cord goes to the on/off switch, but what I don't know is how/where does the red wire from the motor hooks to and where/how do I connect the the relay and the white wires? please advise if anyone can supply any input here...cheers, Stu

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-19, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

There is a wiring diagram as part of the motor parts breakout. No colors are used so a diagram could be made up from the picture.

sears parts direct/model-number/113242721/0247

Pictures of the start relay would be helpful too...... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 01-09-19, 02:15 PM
switch control box with capacitor and relay for 9 in saw

[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/76419730-34f0-49c8-a774-2bcb7be85e32[/img]

Excuse the tipe-o's,
Sent from my iPhone cheers, stu

Old 01-09-19, 03:56 PM
updated photos of relay

Hi PJ MAX, here is a photo of the relay and capacitor, looking at some schematics I found on the net one end (red wire) goes to the capacitor...thx..Stu

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
switch parts.pdf (587.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-09-19, 11:15 PM
So, of course, after you have unplugged the saw, go back and check it !
Normally...not always...you have 3 wires from the motor that consist of a main, a phase or start, and a common, which is the other end of the main and the phase. Again...normally, the red is the phase and it's circuit goes thru the capacitor and thru the contact on the relay. the contact purpose is to drop out the capacitor and phase winding after the motor is up to speed, so they are in series. Inside the relay is a coil, normally....when the coil has sufficient voltage/current it will open that contact and the motor will run on the main winding. I don't want to speculate on which motor lead is the common and which is the main but if you had a really good dc meter or an impedance meter you could find the set of wires with the most resistance/impedance and the remaining one SHOULD be the common, which is eventually one side of the line. Hope this helps...operate with the utmost care...capacitors will store a charge and can knock you on you derriere...even when disconnected.

Old 01-10-19, 12:57 PM
Cloudy, Good morning and thanks....I'm adding an updated pdf with more photos and the wire information... Please review and advise..thx

Attached Images
switch parts.pdf (796.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-10-19, 02:30 PM
okay...to start with...I don't know which motor wire is the common...it matters, and I am only guessing at the common terminal on the relay...it also matters. I don't know what level of expertise you have but I trust you will be more than cautious and stand by ready to disconnect....that said...here's my best guess..use it at your own risk.
The MOTOR RED goes to the empty capacitor terminal. The LINE BLACK goes to the empty terminal on the relay(bottom one per your picture). The RELAY RED (left side per your pic) goes to the MOTOR BLACK wire. MOTOR WHITE wire to LINE WHITE wire....although it is strange that there is no protection device shown?? See if that makes sense for your wires etc. and NOTE...the relay must be in the correct position, as it sets in the saw with the saw in normal position. Because I am guessing at the commons, the saw may run but draw an excessive amount of current and hum loudly, be prepared to disconnect if it does anything abnormal. AND connect your ground wire(green) to the frame with a clean solid connection.

Old 01-11-19, 06:22 AM
saw switch

Cloudy, Good morning and thanks for your reply.... I'm knowledgeable about basic electricy and know enough to hopefully not hurt myself, so I do practice caution and safety. You mention no safety protection, do you mean an on/off switch...I'm attaching what it looks like..cheers and thanks, Stu
fyi..I do have a volt meter...

Attached Images
switch parts.pdf (796.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-11-19, 01:10 PM
sorry, I posted the wrong pdf....

Attached Images
Saw switch.pdf (966.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-11-19, 02:06 PM
yup...that one looks more like a switch...;o]
2 things...
1/ one of the spade contacts on the switch is dangerously close(or appears so in the pic) to the switch mounting...be sure there is sufficient space between the spade connector that slides on and the switch 'frame'.
2/ The switch is not the protection device I was wondering about..but it raises another point...In your previous PDF you show the wire cord...if that is from the cord that plugs into the wall, obviously you need to get the switch hooked into the circuit....if the cord is from the switch box(which also uses a plug on some makes) then it assumes the switch is all ready in the circuit. So...IF the switch is yet to be wired in, you would want to connect it to the BLACK wire from the cord....then run another wire from the other switch terminal to the empty terminal on the relay(bottom one per your picture). Then proceed as above allowing for that change for the switch.
Finally...a point...I assume the red wire from the relay to the capacitor is as it has always been...that no one has changed that...That gives me some hope that I know the common terminal on the relay. Be sure to position the relay in it's normal operating position.

Old 01-14-19, 02:36 PM
Cloudy, I just wanted to let you know that your wiring information was great and the saw works just fine now...thanks, Stu