Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Capped off outlets and light switch wiring, now no power to half the house

Old 01-18-19, 12:09 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of removing a wall from my home separating the kitchen and dining room. To do this, I needed to remove the wiring from the wall. Steps I took: Shut breakers off to kitchen lights, kitchen outlets, and dining room outlet on same wall. This was 3 breakers total, shutting off power to half the house including some rooms and the garage.

I then removed wiring from all outlets and light switches, so that I could remove wall studs. After removing studs, I capped all wires with wire nuts, stripping them back, etc. 3 wire nuts for each electrical cable.

I then flipped all 3 breakers back on to get some light in the other areas of the house, and no power. I used my non-contact voltage tester and none of the outlets attached to the other breakers are functioning. Only 2 of the 6 cables I capped off have any current with breakers on as well. Garage has no power, etc. Only devices not on one of those 3 breakers have power.

I do have an electrician coming out next week to move a couple light switches as they will need rewired, but can someone give me some ideas as to how I can get the power to the rest of my house back? There are no GFCI outlets in the kitchen. Bathroom has a GFCI outlet, which I have tried resetting, but still no power.

Old 01-18-19, 12:43 PM
H
Its hard to tell what is causing your issue without looking at it. My guess is that the wired you capped off were feeding other areas of the home. Circuits are like a chain. If you break the chain you will lose power down the line.

Old 01-18-19, 02:12 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sounds like one or more of your circuits began in one or more outlets in the wall you removed. You'll need to figure out what went where and either install a couple junction boxes in the ceiling below to extend the branch feeding the de-energized circuits, or pull new home runs to an alternate outlet(s) to restore power. This is something the electrician should easily be able to square away. If you need a quick fix, well then reconnect things back how they were using a few temporary boxes. Be safe about it!

Old 01-18-19, 03:57 PM
J
I believe I understand what has happened here. I am surprised that a house would be wired in such a way that power to half of the house is daisy chained off of a single outlet, but it appears that is what is going on. One of the outlets on the outside of the wall I removed had two cables going into it. I can only assume that one of those cables was from the power source, and the other continues on to the rest of the house to provide power to those receptacles. My question is this: Can I bypass the outlet by connecting positives to positives (black to black) Neutral to Neutral (white to white) and ground to ground (bare copper to bare copper) using wire nuts, all inserted to a junction box?

Old 01-18-19, 03:58 PM
J
Received 297 Votes on 255 Posts
Yes as long as you leave the junction box accessible. Why not just put the receptacle back?

Old 01-18-19, 04:02 PM
J
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Yes as long as you leave the junction box accessible. Why not just put the receptacle back?
I can't put the receptacle back because it was on the backside of the interior wall I removed. There is no longer anything to attach it to, so I will be pulling the cables into the attic and adding the junction box there. This is all for the next few days until the electrician comes, when I will ask for his opinion on rewiring, etc. I will be doing this tonight and hope power is restored to the rooms/bathroom!

Old 01-18-19, 04:05 PM
J
OK. A junction box with a cover in the attic is good.

Old 01-18-19, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,336 Votes on 1,234 Posts
I am surprised that a house would be wired in such a way that power to half of the house is daisy chained off of a single outlet,
If three breakers control one half of the house..... then this is how it would be wired. This style of wiring was very popular in the mid to late 50's into the 60's. There wasn't a need for more circuits back then.

Old 01-18-19, 04:19 PM
J
Originally Posted by PJmax View Post
If three breakers control one half of the house..... then this is how it would be wired. This style of wiring was very popular in the mid to late 50's into the 60's. There wasn't a need for more circuits back then.
This house was built in 1979 and all outlets are grounded, etc. So although it is not new, I would think it would be wired more individually! I would at least wire back rooms completely separate from the outlet in the livingroom LOL. But, I am no electrician, and I'm sure there is other reasoning for this.

Old 01-18-19, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,336 Votes on 1,234 Posts
I agree. It appears that there wasn't anything spent on extra circuits. With house of that age there should have been more circuits.

Old 01-18-19, 09:03 PM
J
Unless you were having issues with the breaker tripping from overloads, then you don't have any issues with the amount of receptacles and lights on the circuit. Receptacles don't use any power. Only the stuff you plug into them does.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: