How to wire 220v to relay module

Old 01-25-19, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to wire 220v to relay module

Hi, I bought the following 1 ch relay - Link, which is just like the one in this video - Link.

I want to connect it to my room's lightbulb which uses 220v, the thing is I'm not sure how to wire it as you need to connect it with plus and minus.

As far as I'm aware 220v is AC, which means there's no really plus and minus, how do I wire it then? Its just doesn't matter? Or is there something else?..

I'm using EU 2 pin plug(I can also get a 3 pin plug, but I don't think it should really make a difference besides the fact that with 2 pin plug the neutral and hotline might swap).

Not really sure about anything I wrote, so take it easy in case I'm wrong, thanks for the help. :]

P.S - Please try to explain everything as simple as possible, as I'm not really familiar with electricity terms.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-19, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 375 Votes on 352 Posts
Did you not get the wiring diagram with that unit ?
See if this diagram is helpful to you. The hot and neutral are labeled.

Name:  module_1.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  40.2 KB

Old 01-25-19, 04:41 PM
I got this diagram, but because 220v is not something you should go and play with so easily, I just want to be sure about what I'm doing.

If I understand corrently, N stand for neutral, and L stand for hotline? Regarding the EU plug, since you can plug it in both direction, do I need to make sure I always wire it the same way? As one time wire1 might be neutral, but if I swap it if can become the hotline(?).

Thanks.

Old 01-25-19, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Ok..... here's the problem. The L (line/hot) and the N (neutral) are labeled for a reason and this is very important. The relay on that control board opens the L connection to the light. The N stays connected. If you put the plug in the wrong direction..... whether the board is turned on or off...... there will always be live power to the light. That is risky. You could have the remote off and try to remove a broken bulb and get a shock.

To use that remote safely.......
1) It needs to be in an insulated box so that nothing can short to it.
2) It needs to be connected with a three prong plug so that the plug can only be inserted in the correct direction. The plug should also be fused at 3A.

On edit:
I just saw that you are from Israel. I'm not sure if you use three prong or fused plugs.
If you only use two prong plugs then this may not be a good module to use with a plug.

Last edited by PJmax; 01-25-19 at 06:27 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-26-19, 01:51 AM
Actually our wall outlets are 3 pin plugs, but when thinking about it, it doesn't really matter as the lightbulb will always be connected the same(its on the ceiling and won't be changed).

The thing is before I do that I wanted to just try it externally to see everything works correctly, so I'll just get a 3 plug cable and try it first.

Regarding the fuse, do I wire the fuse before the module, or after the module?

Old 01-26-19, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
The fuse is before the module so that it is protected.

Old 01-26-19, 11:59 PM
Great, I already got it working(without fuse atm), I own the following fuse/cable: Link and Link. And regular car fuses which I think isn't good but will the second one work? And if so, how do I wire it?.. Those fuse types are not really meant for that I believe. Will something like This work? Thanks

Old 01-27-19, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Your links aren't posted correctly. Do you mean something like these ?

Name:  fh.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  5.9 KB

What are you doing with the switch ? It should be in some type of insulated enclosure and that would be the place for a fuse. Be sure to use a fuse rated for 250v. Basic auto fuses aren't rated to 250v.

Old 01-28-19, 12:34 PM
Oh sorry for the bad links, the picture you sent is exactly what I asked about.
Will these fuses work with that?

Old 01-28-19, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
No..... those fuses specifically say "low voltage". They must be rated for 250vAC.

Old 01-29-19, 12:42 PM
The L and N is not of other importance here than that the relay is in the L line. This will equal a table lamp with a switch on the cord, and an un-polarized plug. (old US style)(euro plug style) No problem until you put your fingers in where the bulb fits

dsk

Old 01-29-19, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
The L and N is not of other importance here than that the relay is in the L line.
That is correct.

Let me explain why that's a problem in this case. If you had a table lamp with a broken socket.... you'd pull the plug out. With this remote module.... an assumption could be made that since the remote is off..... there is no power AT ALL to the lamp. That could prove fatal.

Old 02-02-19, 03:08 PM
Right but Pardodot seems to be in Israel, where they allow use of the unpolarized 2 prong plugs, they should be avare of that risk, just as we are here in Europe. (Except UK?) :-)

dsk

Old 02-02-19, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
You don't seem to be getting my point. If you had a table lamp that had a broken bulb in it..... would you unplug it ? Most people would say yes.

If you had the same table lamp connected to a remote control module..... would you still unplug the module and the light ? Probably not.

The member in this thread is perfectly aware of the issue. How about another member in the same household ???