Add up/down momentary switches to Harbor Freight Hoist

Old 01-26-19, 03:24 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add up/down momentary switches to Harbor Freight Hoist

Hello everyone.
I'm wanting to add additional up/down momentary pushbutton switches on a new Harbor Freight 1100# electric hoist that i'd like to use for a laundry elevator. Laundry room is in the basement, (1) bedroom on 1st floor and additional bedrooms on 2nd floor. My hoist has a factory wired pendant with a up/down rocker switch. I'd like to do away with this completely. Does anyone know how I'd be able to wire the new pushbittons into the hoist?

Old 01-26-19, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A model number is required here. If it's the 93251 then it is do-able. It would require two triple pole relays. The wiring is a little involved. The two relays would operate the lift. They would be wired so that if both buttons (up and down) were pressed it wouldn't damage the lift. You could use an infinite amount of pairs of momentary pushbuttons to control up and down. The button would have to be held in to move the lift.

Old 01-27-19, 08:50 AM
P
Received 125 Votes on 99 Posts
You say you want to add additional up and down switch, but then you say you want to do away with the pendant completely. So to clarify do you want two switch locations to operate the hoist from or just one switch location. One problem you are going to run into is some of the HF hoist have a capacitor in the hand control and others are on the motor housing. Which do you have?

Old 01-27-19, 12:58 PM
B
Afternoon Pete. Thanks. My hoist is the model #93251. To clarify i want to totally remove the factory installed, yellow hand-held pendant that has (1) single up/down rocket switch. The pendant does not hold the capacitor. The capacitor is located in the terminal box that is attached to the underside of the motor. I intend to install the hoist just above the 2nd floor ceiling height elevation. On the second floor, Id like to have a single "up" button, momentary, that the operator has to keep the button pressed for the hoist to come up. On the first floor, i'd like to have both an "up" button & a "down" button, that also have to be pressed for the hoist to operate up/down. Then in the basement, where the laundry room is, there will be a "down" button that has to be pressed to operate the hoist. I'm having trouble figuring out the control wiring. I'll probably have a "down" limit switch installed as a safety as well as an "up" limit switch. Would you be able to provide a wiring schematic for this? Thanks again and your help is appreciated.

Old 01-27-19, 01:01 PM
B
Hi pattenp. Thanks for your post. Please see my recent reply to another member . . . . . . .

Name:  lift.JPG
Views: 7061
Size:  82.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-27-19 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added temp diagram
Old 01-27-19, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the clarification. Yes... I can draw up the diagram. It will take a day or so.
I see you want end safety stops too.

For those following along.... I posted the basic wiring diagram. I labeled the switches as A and B. The relays will each have three poles. They will switch A and B for the motor and C will interrupt the opposite call button. If you call for up.... the down buttons will be disabled so that pressing both won't cause a catastrophe.

To the OP.... you will need to decide what you want to use for end stops. They need to be normally closed switches. They can be mechanical but I'd recommend magnetic switches like in the link. Shop around using that part number.

958-2 Form C contacts

Last edited by PJmax; 01-27-19 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 04:14 PM
B
Thanks again Pete. I look forward to receiving diagram. That'll be a huge help! As far as the up/down safety limits, I'd probably go with an Allen-Bradley or Square D limit switch with a whisker. I'd mount them so that the elevator carriage has a clip welded/bolted in place that trips the limit.

Old 06-25-19, 08:42 AM
H
I am looking to do this as well. Did you ever come up with a diagram? I was looking at using https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...vzuEaeuA%3D%3D

Old 06-25-19, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
I had started a working diagram but did not complete it. I may have been waiting for input from the OP.
Not sure how those relays would work for this project. To keep the system simple I was using three poles relay. Two poles for motor switching and a pole for directional lockout. You could design a low voltage logic system but that would be beyond the scope of most DIY'ers.

Old 06-26-19, 08:06 PM
H
Thanks for the update. If you have time to complete it I would love to see it. As it stands now I was thinking of this method. Homebuilt Rovs

I have abandoned the relay below and am looking at DPDT

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: