Some Dead Outlets and no power to bathroom

Old 01-27-19, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some Dead Outlets and no power to bathroom

Woke up this morning and found 3 outlets and bedroom bathroom lights and outlets stopped working.

Ceiling light fixture and one outlet in bedroom was still working. Did a breaker reset and master reset did not work. The circuit breaker controls 3 bedrooms I would assume itís not a bad one or they would have issues also.

I checked and all outlets do have current or hot when using a pen type checker. I removed some outlets to cross out a bad one still no luck. Even removed gfci on bathroom and no luck.

Apologies if Iím not using the right terms. Is there anything else I should check or itís time to call an electrician?

thank you all

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-19, 01:57 PM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
While we wait for the electrical pros, are those outlets wired to the screws on the side or did they use the back stabs?

Also search for another gfci.

Bud

Old 01-27-19, 01:59 PM
Received 115 Votes on 105 Posts
Sounds like a possible bad neutral connection. The problem could be in a working device. If you know the route of the cable between devices the problem is in the last working device or the first dead device.

Old 01-27-19, 02:49 PM
Hello Paul28,

1. Did you check anything with a multimeter because you're wasting your time otherwise? Those pen detectors will give you a lot of false's, so do not rely on them.

2. Do you know which breaker controls those outlets and if they are all on the same outlet because I'd be surprised if they wired three bedrooms and a master bathroom all on one circuit. I'm not sure exactly what code requires off the top of my head but I always wire bathrooms on their own circuit because hair dryers draw a lot of amps. You wouldn't want anything else on those circuits.

This is what I would do.

*Check the breaker to make sure it is good (has power on it). Not just the breaker lug but also the hot wire itself which is lugged into it. Sometimes people do not lug the wire in good and they lose connection after a period. Breaker may be good but poor connection.....

You can also trace down the neutral and ground if you like for that circuit within the panel to be sure no issues.

IF the breaker is good I'd go to all the receptacles or fixtures and check them for power. Check between neutral/hot and ground/hot. It should show 120v.

IF they show no power then there is a break in the circuit line (wiring) somewhere.

*A GFCI recepticle is tripped or bad and killing everything downstream.
*A squirrel or rat ate a wire
*A wire got hot, burned and lost it's connection

etc.

Note: It may not be enough to check a receptacle from simply inserting your meter into the holes. You may actually have to remove the face plate and check the wires themselves. This is especially true with a GFCI receptacle.

My first guess is you have a GFCI breaker tripped somewhere.

Good luck,
Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 01-27-19 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 04:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
1st thing to do is look for a GFCI someplace. May be in another bathroom, garage, behind furniture.outside almost anyplace. This is a normal place to start..

Old 01-28-19, 08:20 AM
Want to say thank you for all the replies. I almost quit but the thought of paying someone to look for the problem had me a little motivated.

I assumed the problem was just on my bedroom but was wrong. My kids room was also affected and realized I plugged a space heater the night before. I was able to track it down to an outlet in my kids room. It was stab In and one white connector was burnt. Not too happy the fuse did not trip and could ahce been worse. They both have an outlet that had 2 white wires and 1 red wire. After I replaced that outlet everything worked.

Thank You all for your time on this.

Old 01-28-19, 08:29 AM
Received 115 Votes on 105 Posts
When you get some time I go to all the other receptacles and move any of the stab connections to the screws. The back stabs are a very common source of your issue.

Old 01-28-19, 04:50 PM
Great that you found it Paul!

Just FYI,

A typical breaker will only protect a circuit from over current and that's all. You should consider installing Combination Arc Fault breakers (CAFCI). Those will protect the circuit from over current and from any electrical arc that is detected.

The NEC began requiring arc fault breakers around 2000 for residential bedrooms but now require them for most circuits within a home. There are a few exceptions within a residence but basically all new home construction has to utilize these breakers just for the reason as you experienced.

God Bless,
Ralph

Old 01-29-19, 09:01 AM
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
Not too happy the fuse did not trip

You said you had breakers, not fuses. Regardless, breakers trip on overload or a direct short and you had neither.