need old doorbell to be new wiring junction box

Old 01-27-19, 04:45 PM
L
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
need old doorbell to be new wiring junction box

I bought a ring doorbell but I cannot put it where my current doorbell is because it needs a larger space as you can see in the picture. I obviously need to extend the wires but I wanted to get something install temporarily. I had thought I could just keep the old doorbell in place and use that as a junction box for the new doorbell and the old doorbell.

But when I put the cover of the old doorbell back on something did not work. But when I took the cover off the old bell then the electric connection worked. But I was wondering if there's a solution that I could keep the old doorbell totally removed.. Obviously there is a hole behind there with the wires coming out. And theoretically some day I may have to put a standard doorbell back there when I move so that I can take the ring with me. So other than getting the correct length of wire I am lost how to make this look somewhat decent and it definitely has to be able to transform to the original state when I move

i guess u could say i need a tiny junction box in place of the doorbell.

edit: i cannot post a pic now but just imagine a tight space where an old thin doorbell is in next to a masonry wall and i need to make it the junction box

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-19, 05:41 PM
L
Received 44 Votes on 40 Posts
You don't need a junction box for splicing low voltage wiring. Technically it is ok to splice and push it in the wall, but it is nice to keep it accessible just in case.

Old 01-27-19, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 702 Posts
The OP is discussing the actual outdoor button. Not a unit hanging on the wall inside. Very confusing.
Having spliced wires at your front door could look a little tacky. The ring unit is pretty big which is one reason why the nest hello has become so popular.

I would like to see a picture of your front door area.

Old 01-28-19, 01:40 PM
L
sadly cannot post pic since no way to delete others to make room

its actually back door. the front door installed easily. i love the view the back door cam has given me with my new spotlight. also learned it reset my 30 day free plan when i installed this one. so i may wait to install my 3rd one that has the same issue with the permastone coming out so far from the house. but that doorbell is weird. i gotta take off aluminium trim to get to the wiring. just is a button sticking out of the trim

Old 01-28-19, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
Lucky.... I left a reply to your comment in the other forum about attachments.
I've freed up most of your storage space. You were over 10 megs and are now at 4.x megs.

Old 01-28-19, 04:35 PM
L
i covered up the old switch with duct tape temporarily and its under a porch so likely wont get too much moisture. i also have to trim down the wood shim too. i didnt take pic of the big hole under the switch. its one reason i want a 'cover' of sorts. id estimate its about 1/2 inch big. the wires out of the wall have two O rings on

Attached Images  
Old 02-02-19, 07:39 PM
L
i'm going to install another bell on the permastone soon but theres no surface mount , just a button sticking out of the aluminum. so no way to do anything but have the wiring stickout of the tiny hole.

Old 02-02-19, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
I had to mount one on brick. I used an oscillating saw with a carbide blade and I notched the mortar. I placed the wire in the notch and cemented back over it.

Old 02-03-19, 12:45 AM
L
maybe ill just go to lowes and see what kind of terminal/thingies i can find