Adding two 20 amp circuits

Old 01-29-19, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding two 20 amp circuits

If this has been covered somewhere else, please point me to the thread. I would like to have an electrician come out and add two 20 amp circuits to the panel box. I like to be as educated as possible before I meet with contractors so that I can make the best decision.

My house was built in 1999. I have a Seimens 200 amp 20-space 40-circuit Combination panel box that was installed at the time. Please correct me if I am wrong (see pictures).....The box has two hot legs and one neutral.

After moving in, I had A/C installed and a 240V circuit was added to accommodate the A/C. That was added on the left side of the panel. A few years later, I added a single 20 amp circuit on the left side of the panel box.

I have read and read and still have a difficult time understanding what is safe and what is not safe. The box has 220amps of 240V circuits and 330 amps of 120V circuits.

I guess my question is, how can I determine if I have enough capacity in my panel box? If so, which side should the breakers be installed?

I'm interested in learning. So, please feel free to educate me.

Thank you.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-19, 12:16 PM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Load capacity depends on the actual max load that most likely will be used. Adding up breakers is meaningless. Breakers can go on either side because the breaker stabs alternate one side to the other.

Old 01-29-19, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the prompt reply. I really don't run a lot of high amperage stuff in my house. I'm finishing my basement and want to add 7-8 outlets on one circuit and maybe a half dozen LED ceiling lights. The most that will be put on one of the new circuits at anyone time will will be from a treadmill and TV.

I can easily make put the treadmill on it's own 20amp circuit and put the outlets and LED ceiling lights on the other.

Old 01-29-19, 01:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I do recommend that the treadmill be on its own circuit. The variable speed motor in treadmills will sometimes cause an obnoxious flicker or interference in the lighting if they share a circuit.