Fan Wall Control Fixable?

Old 01-29-19, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fan Wall Control Fixable?

So my roommate put in non-dimmer bulbs into the Harbor Breeze fan in his room. One of them popped and the the other two immediately ceased working, however the fan itself is still functional. After trying a proper working bulb from my own fan which also didn't work, I busted out the voltmeter and there was only <20 volts going to the lights in the fan. I then checked the fan control switch on the wall and found that I was indeed still getting 120 volts INTO the control, but only <20 volts going out of it to the fan's lights (the fan's motor, predictably, is also getting a solid 120 volts). So this seems to narrow the issue down to the wall control being busted. My question then is whether it's conceivable that I could fix that, or if I just need to buy a whole new switch unit? I'm balking at the prospect only because of the price ($25 at my local Lowes: #745362 for reference). Also, the bulb slot where the bulb burst has a little blackening compared to the others... should I be concerned at all by that? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-19, 10:00 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Dimmer switches really aren't fixable.

Old 01-30-19, 12:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 511 Votes on 481 Posts
As far as I know.... that is a just a remote control unit. It communicates with the receiver inside the fan. If that is correct..... the problem will not be in that remote but be in the fan's receiver.

Most, if not all, fans usually specify incandescent bulbs only.

Old 01-31-19, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am getting less than 20 volts going into the receiver in the fan (first thing I checked). Are you saying that it's able to request only <20 volts, and replacing it with a new one (or bypassing it) will start pulling 120 volts from the wall switch?

Old 01-31-19, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 511 Votes on 481 Posts
I'm not sure how they work. I thought it was supposed to send 120v to the receiver and then send the fan/light commands.