aluminum wire question

Old 02-02-19, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
aluminum wire question

Good morning,

I'm in the process of preparing to install King Innovation AlumiConn 3-Port Alum to Cu Lug Nut Connectors and have a question about the ground wire. I know they have a 2-port connector, but to save space, is it safe or approved to ground the aluminum ground wire to the box and then pigtail from the box (different location) to the outlet? I looked and there appear to be two screw holes to allow for this.

I live in Florida and after 25 years, I need new home insurance and need an inspection. I need to update the wiring to the approved AlumiConn solution. Don't have the $10k to replace all wiring.

Thanks for your time and support.

Have a great weekend.

-David

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-19, 07:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
I would say it is safe, but is not compliant with the electrical code. The code requires all the grounds to be spliced together.

Old 02-02-19, 08:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
PCboss is correct that all grounds must be connected together, but they all do not have to be connected to the same point.

There are many ways to handle this:

You could loop a ground wire around the ground screw connected to the metal box and then connect the same wire to the device.

You could connect the aluminum ground to the box and then add another jumper the is also connected to the box to the device as long the jumper is properly connected to the metal box.

Really any way that effectively bonds all the ground wires together is OK.

Old 02-02-19, 12:34 PM
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
With metal boxes switches don't normally need a separate ground wire. For receptacles spend a couple dollars to us spec grade versions and you should be fine without a separate ground pigtail wire as well.

Hopefully you have verified that you actually have aluminum wiring and not the older tinned copper or AC/BX with an aluminum bonding strap. Some home "inspectors" don't know the difference but it looks good on their reports.

Last edited by Astuff; 02-02-19 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Added AL check