correct way to pigtail 3 new ground wires to a bundle

Old 02-05-19, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
correct way to pigtail 3 new ground wires to a bundle

The bundle always has 3 ground wires and are capped together, i am trying to pig tail 3 new ground wires to that cap, it feels like i need to untwist the existing bundle and add all 6 together and then twist them together again, want to check here if that is the right way to do it, thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-19, 03:20 PM
Or should I untwist the bundle and just use the ground wires separately without pigtail at all?

Old 02-05-19, 03:22 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You shouldn't untwist the ground wires because they all should be connected together but you may need to use a large gray wire nut or if one of the ground wires are long enough a green wire nut with a hole in the top to feed one ground wire through..

Old 02-05-19, 03:28 PM
without untwisting the old one, I really am not sure how can I add the 3 new ones in tight enough..should I twist the 3 new ones first then cap the two bundles together? Google does not give me any good answer for this, thanks!

Old 02-05-19, 03:32 PM
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Take the wire nut off and add the new ground wires. I would not untwist the old ones. A larger nut is probably needed for the added wires.

Old 02-05-19, 03:37 PM
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You can try this although it is not the best for all possible situations.

Cut a fourth pigtail. Remove the wire nut from the existing bundle of three wire ends, form one end of the 4'th pigtail around that still twisted bundle, and replace the wire nut. Twist all 4 pigtails into a second bundle and cover with another wire nut.

Wire nuts with a hole in the small end are best used when one ground wire end is long enough to go through the hole and connect to something else. That something else could be a bunch of additional ground wire ends or pigtails that did not fit in the first wire nut.

Old 02-05-19, 03:49 PM
Thanks, I am doing more googling now.

While at the same time, what if I only need to add 1 more wire to the twisted bundle? What is the correct way to do it, it feels pretty cumbersome trying to twist 1 more new wire to an existing 3 wire bundle, the result looks pretty ugly thanks!

Old 02-05-19, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
The correct way is to twist any on to the existing bundle....... from one to several.
Wrap the new one(s) on in the same manner and use a larger wire nut.

I've made connections with 10-12 ground wires in a four gang box.