LG Washer tripping circuit breaker

Old 02-06-19, 07:40 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LG Washer tripping circuit breaker

I have seen posts on this, but mine is slightly different. My washer is 4 years old (front loading LG washer). It has been working fine until recent weeks it has been tripping circuit breaker in the breaker box, but not while it is running, it is always after some loads of wash...come back to do another load the next day..it doesn't power on. Go down to fuse box and it has been tripped for some reason. From what I can tell it is a dedicated breaker for the washing machine, it is rated to 30 amps (breaker switch), which I really only need that to be rated to 20 normally, but that is what it is hooked up to at this point. The outlet for washer is a Non GFCI outlet and always has been. The outlet is also first powered by a power switch (like a light switch), so the switch always has to be turned to the on position in order for the washer outlet to get power and then hence the washer gets power.

So what I did first is change out the washer outlet with a new 20 amp outlet...plugged it in....worked fine for several loads, and then came in to laundry room after 2 days to do another load....washing machine has no power again...circuit breaker has been tripped somehow again mysteriously. So something is causing it to trip without it even running.

Any thoughts on what is going on? and what is next step? I might replace the circuit breaker in the breaker box and see if that helps next.

Old 02-06-19, 08:41 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
That breaker should be a 20 amp if the receptacle is 20 amp.
Try turning off the switch to the washer and see if it still trips when not in use. If it does then you need to be looking elsewhere. The washer is not the problem.

Old 02-06-19, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Post the model number for the washer too.
Pretty rare for an LG washer to trip a breaker. Usually the filter networks open first.

Old 02-07-19, 06:47 AM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
It's possible you have a faulty breaker. Breakers are fairly cheap, change the 30A to a new 20A and see how it goes. The breaker really needs to be a 20A anyway. Also make sure the switch is rated for 20A, you may need to change the switch while you're at it.

Old 02-07-19, 07:30 AM
N
the model # is WM3370HWA.

So, then yes I will try turning switch off to see if ti still trips or not. I will also replace that breaker with a 20 amp breaker and make sure the switch is rated for 20 amp

Old 02-07-19, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Unplug washer before change breaker and see if it still trips. Be sure you shut breaker all the way off and on. Most breakers need to be reset turning them on n and off and back on. If breaker still pops with washer unplugged than problem is in wiring someplace or breaker. Please check model # as I could not get it to work.

Old 02-07-19, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
WM3370HWA/00 or WM3370HWA/01

I used /00 ......... Searspartsdirect.com/model-number/wm3370hwa00

Old 02-08-19, 02:39 PM
N
OK- so I'm going to try and replace the breaker switch- But the 30 amp breaker switch is different than all the rest of them, of course and I'm not familiar with it. Can anyone enlighten me on what this one is/does.

It has a TEST button on to test if it trips ok?

It has 1 white wire (neutral ?) and 1 black wire hooked to breaker switch that is coming in from the top of the breaker box, which then leads to my light switch in laundry room that controls power to my washer.
Then, there is an additional white wire that runs from the same breaker switch to a panel on left side of box (pigtail?) (i'm not sure what the panel on left side of box is called, but it has many white wires attached to it.)

So if I want to replace this with a 20 amp breaker switch, do I need to get the same exact switch/setup with a TEST button on it? And do I also need to run that additional "pigtail" to panel on left? Most of the rest of switches in breaker box only have 1 black wire attached to it and there is no additional white wire, let alone 2 white wires.

Name:  lg1.jpg
Views: 6994
Size:  148.6 KB

Name:  lg2.jpg
Views: 6358
Size:  126.2 KB

Name:  lg3.jpg
Views: 6051
Size:  45.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-08-19 at 05:59 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 02-08-19, 05:58 PM
P
You failed to tell us the breaker was a GFCI. That changes everything. It maybe tripping because of a ground fault.

Old 02-08-19, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
That is a GFCI breaker. It is detecting a leak from hot to ground.

The neutral from the load is connected to the breaker and then the white tail of the breaker goes to the neutral bar. That breaker monitors for ground leakage.

Your going to need an ohmmeter to test for leakage in the washer. I believe that uses a water heating element for steam. That would be the likeliest place to check. The second place is the motor.

You can do a preliminary check by connecting the ohmmeter between one blade of the plug and ground pin. Then the other blade of the plug to ground pin. Neither should register any continuity.

Old 02-09-19, 05:57 AM
P
Regardless of being GFCI, if the circuit is #12 wire with a 15A or 20A duplex outlet the breaker should be no more than a 20A. If the outlet the washer is plugged into is accessible you can always change the outlet to a GFCI outlet and use a standard breaker. The GFCI breakers are pricey. Also what year was your house built? GFCI wasn't required in laundry areas until 2014 NEC. If your washer is starting to have motor problems that cause nuisance tripping you may be able to do away with the GFCI as long as the outlet is not closer than 6 feet to a edge of a sink. I believe you indicated the washer outlet is the only outlet on the circuit. But the best thing first is to have the washer checked for voltage leaks to ground.

Old 02-09-19, 09:50 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Is the laundry room unfinished and in a basement? That could be why the GFCI protection was included. Yes, the breaker should be no more than a 20 amp.

That breaker should be a 20 amp if the receptacle is 20 amp.

Maybe in Canada, but a 15 amp duplex receptacle is fine on a 20 amp circuit in the USA. I would replace the 30 amp GFCI breaker with a Cutler-Hammer CHF120 breaker and install a 15 amp GFCI receptacle for the washer. Then, the washer needs to be checked for leakage to ground as has already been stated.

Also what year was your house built?

Assuming this is the original panel, the house must be about 30 or more years old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: