Inline dimmer 120v

Old 02-08-19, 06:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Inline dimmer 120v

So I put this high hat LED in SUPER BRIGHT. Now normally I would just get a dimmer switch. But the switch I have is actually has a built-in timer.

now I was wondering since I have access to that wire up in my attic they made A dimmer switch that I can wire and inline and and adjust it to my liking and never have to touch it again.

I also had another thought about putting a junction box and a dimmer switch in my attic but I do not have enough room to do that

anyone have a solution? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-19, 06:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
The first thing is to find out if your LED fixture is dimmable. If it is not dimmable then a dimmer will not work.

You cannot install a switch or dimmer inline without enclosing it. So, if you don't have room for a junction box then I'd say you can't install a dimmer in your attic.

Old 02-08-19, 06:31 AM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
What is SUPER Bright? A brand?

they made A dimmer switch
I don't understand what you're saying here. The light switch has a timer. You want to add a dimmer also? I would suggest you use a lower lumens light bulb to get the brightness you wish and eliminate the dimmer altogether, since you stated you don't wish to ever make adjustments.

Old 02-08-19, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Itís a special led high hat. Special angle. They donít make it in a lower lumen.

yes the led is dimmable

ill have to see if I can run the wire in a more accessible place to install a dimmer then back to the light

super bright just means itís really bright

thanks

Old 02-08-19, 09:20 AM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
High hat lights = Recessed lighting. New term for me.

It seems to me you will want the timer in the circuit prior to the dimmer. Not that it makes much difference (I think), but if the timer is in the off position, then why would you want live current (power) going to the dimmer if it can't be utilized because the timer is in off position. If the dimmer is in an on position and the timer is off, that could result in a heat dissipation issue, depending on the dimmer. I'd like to see what our expert Mods have to say about this. Perhaps pcboss, pugsi or PJ might comment.