Convert back to 3-way switch

Old 02-10-19, 11:34 AM
Convert back to 3-way switch

3-way switch controlling a single light at bottom of the stairs was previously re-wired to accommodate a motion-sensing switch there instead. I would like to change it back to a basic 3-way switch. Image 1 is switch at top of stairs, image 2 is motion sensor at bottom of stairs. I assume removing the yellow jumper in the top switch, but need some help with the bottom switch.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-19, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
The top switch is a dead end three way switch. Red is common and white and black are the travelers.

That means at the bottom switch...... look for the three wire cable. You should have black and white of that cable connected as the travelers on the three way switch.

Can you pull the wiring gently out of the second box and take another picture. We're looking for the white wire from the three wire cable.

Old 02-10-19, 12:20 PM
The white wire is currently connected to the other whites in that box.

That means at the bottom switch...... look for the three wire cable. You should have black and white of that cable connected as the travelers on the three way switch.
So with black and white connected to that switch as travelers, I then need to connect a hot wire from power source (plus the existing red wire) to the common terminal on the switch?

Attached Images  

Last edited by rudeboy; 02-10-19 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 01:44 PM
First you remove the yellow jumper on the upper switch. Leave the other wires on the screws they are on.
Please post the make and model of the sensor.

Old 02-10-19, 03:35 PM
I left upper switch as is after removing the jumper wire. I'm replacing the motion sensor with a standard 3-way switch and Just looking to wire that up so not sure how the sensor make/model will help with that? Thanks!

The make/model of the photo-electric sensor I removed is: Leviton PR180

Last edited by rudeboy; 02-10-19 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 04:09 PM
It will tell me what wires are the power, and load etc. to guide you where to connect to the new switch.

The load wire needs to connect to the red from the other switch.
The power wire connects to the common of your new switch.
The black and white from the other switch are the travellers. They connect to the non black screws.

Old 02-10-19, 04:10 PM
Yeah figured as much, just edited my post.

Old 02-10-19, 04:18 PM
The red is the load. Take the black wire connected to the sensor red and connect to the red from other switch.

The sensor black is connected the power. The black from the other switch should also be connected to the power. Find the black from the other switch and remove from power bundle. Use a pigtail to connect the new common to the power bundle.

The black and white from the other switch are the travellers. They connect to the non black screws.

Old 02-10-19, 05:06 PM
If I connect black wire (was connected to sensor red) and white wire (was bundled with other white wires) as travelers to the non-black screws, that leaves the red wire (was connected to sensor yellow-red) to be connected to the black screw. To bring power to this switch I use a pigtail to connect this red wire to the power bundle. Is this correct? Thanks for your patience.

Old 02-10-19, 05:53 PM
The white wire from the cable to the other switch should not have been connected to the other whites. That doesn't sound correct.

leaves the red wire (was connected to sensor yellow-red) to be connected to the black screw
No connect the red wire from the yellow/red sensor wire to the black wire that was connected to the sensor red wire.
The black pigtail goes the new switch common screw.

Old 02-10-19, 06:49 PM
It may be difficult to see in the pictures I took before disconnecting the sensor, but the white was definitely bundled with the other white wires, and not to the sensor itself.

No connect the red wire from the yellow/red sensor wire to the black wire that was connected to the sensor red wire.
The black pigtail goes the new switch common screw.
Ok I will give it a go, thanks.

Old 02-10-19, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
The white wire from the cable to the other switch should not have been connected to the other whites. That doesn't sound correct.
Crazy isn't it. Many of these controls have the remote switch to neutral to activate the circuit.

You will need to take that white wire from the three wire cable out of the neutral splice.

Old 02-10-19, 07:10 PM
So pigtail from power bundle to common (black) terminal,
remove white wire from bundle and connect to one traveler terminal,
connect red wire to black wire --> question: do these two need to be pigtailed to the other traveler terminal?

Old 02-10-19, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Your travelers are white and black only.
The white and black that come out of the three wire cable.

Since you are putting power on the common of the local switch..... the red wire coming out of the three wire cable is your load/switched line and gets spliced to the black wire that goes to the lights.

Old 02-10-19, 07:36 PM
I'm kinda chasing my tail here.

Since you are putting power on the common of the local switch..... the red wire coming out of the three wire cable is your load/switched line and gets spliced to the black wire that goes to the lights.
So red from 3-wire cable gets spliced to black from 3-wire cable (the black which is also one of the traveler wires)? If yes then isn't that what I said last post, and if no I don't know where the black wire that goes to the light is located, there are no other wires available in that box, just the one 3-wire cable.

Old 02-10-19, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
When I say three wire cable...... I'm referring to the cable that goes to the dead end 3w switch. in THAT cable..... the white and black are the travelers. THAT red wire supplies the switched power to your lights. I wasn't following the thread and wasn't aware of a second three wire cable.

Old 02-10-19, 08:01 PM
Sorry, no you've got it right, just the one 3-wire cable, I'm just really bad at explaining things. I'm going to re-read all of this tomorrow and hopefully make sense of what you guys are telling me. Thanks again for all the assistance and sorry for the confusion.

Old 02-10-19, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
In your picture is the red wire from the control to a black wire.
That is where the red from the three wire cable goes.

So what you are doing is powering the local switch. Hot in on common. Then it's carried thru as white and black as travelers. The red wire is the switched hot coming back from the dead end switch.

Old 02-10-19, 08:52 PM
orange wire nut red wire the yellow wire nut black wire.

Black and white from same cable as red go to traveller screws.

Black pigtail from power bundle to common screw.

Old 02-11-19, 07:33 PM
Managed to get it wired and working doing this:

Upper Switch
- removed jumper

Lower Switch
- white (from 3-wire) returned to neutral bundle
- pig-tail from power bundle to common terminal
- red (from 3-wire) to one traveler terminal
- black (from 3-wire) to other traveler terminal

Old 02-11-19, 08:02 PM
The cable from the other switch must pass through the light on its way to this switch.