Low voltage to other outlets

Old 02-10-19, 02:46 PM
Low voltage to other outlets

I have no idea how this house is wired. I do know these outlets are on the same breaker. The closest receptacle to the box only reads 110v with only two wires coming in. That is in one room, on the opposite side of the wall ( a separate room) that outlet is working with 120v The rest of the outlets all read 110v I used a plugin circuit tester and all the outlets read good. I have pulled every outlet and inspected for loose wires all are fine. What would cause this power drop and how do I find it? Ty in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-19, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
110 volts is will within nominal voltage and is not an issue unless it is dropping further (under 100 volts) when putting a load on a circuit. Anything plus or minus 10% is OK.

Are you experiencing any issues?

Old 02-10-19, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
Are the receptacles back stabbed? If so move to the screws. What is the voltage hot to ground?

Old 02-10-19, 03:04 PM
Hi, have you checked the main feed into the service panel, what are you using for a meter?
What issues are you having ? 110 volts is not a big deal.
Geo

Old 02-10-19, 05:31 PM
Ray I just checked one I am getting 120 hot to ground. Nothing will work plugged in.

Old 02-10-19, 05:34 PM
Yes nothing will work in the outlets it must be dropping further under a load.

Old 02-10-19, 05:42 PM
Geo, I am using the multimeter part of an Ames fork meter

Old 02-10-19, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
If a load causes it to drop...... leave the load connected and measure from the hot(small slot) to the neutral(large slot) and from hot to ground. This will determine whether it's a hot problem or a loose neutral.

Old 02-10-19, 06:08 PM
@PjMax Here is what I have without a load I have 110.6 from Hot to neutral. Hot to ground I have 122.7v neutral to ground 11.7v With a load hot to neutral 21.9v hot to ground 122.9v neutral to ground 100.9v

Old 02-10-19, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
You have a neutral problem. Check for a loose neutral at the last good receptacle and the first bad receptacle. Move any backstabs to the screws.

Old 02-10-19, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
I agree with ray, you have a loose/missing connection on the neutral.

Old 02-12-19, 05:36 PM
I wanted to thank everyone for their help. I have it narrowed down to about an 8 ft stretch of wire in the wall the mice must have got at. I even made a makeshift jumper to test and bypass that outlet and bam everything else works. Now I hope I can get lucky and fish another line through. This house was built in the 40's and was originally a hunting cabin. Who knows what's in that wall. lol

Old 02-12-19, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
It is almost impossible for a mouse to chew through a copper wire. The most they will do it chew off the insulation. Take a close look at the two device boxes on either end of the suspect cable. It is more likely that the issue is in one of those boxes.

That said, since you said it was a cabin it is also possible that somebody made a splice in the wall, put a junction box on the other side of the wall, or under the floor.

Old 02-16-19, 04:38 AM
Exclamation Be aware!

Here is an update on my situation, and a helpful warning for all of you. The problem I was having was in the wall. The wires shorted to the point the neutral wire was burned clean away.
This is the second time this happened to me once before with thermostat wire. Both times the wires were had that spray can foam insulation touching the wires.

That foam seems to have some kind of chemical reaction with wiring that eats at the wire to the point they become bare and short themselves out. I spayed that insulation where the problem outlet was years ago because the mice were chewing through the wall where the outlet was.

In the case of the thermostat wire that foam insulation was there when I bought the house and the thermostat wire was encased right through the middle of the insulation. That wire was eaten completely away when I pulled it from the foam to run a new line.

This is scary to me when I think of how many people us that spray foam around their receptacles. Please be aware of this! I am going to copy this to a new post in order to warn more people.

Old 02-16-19, 07:44 AM
Group Moderator
Again, I suspect the is damage caused by mice.