Using wire nuts

Old 02-10-19, 06:04 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using wire nuts

Yes, that basic a subject. I was shown as a kid and watched electricians twist the wires and then twist on the wire nut. Recently I saw a couple of U-Tubes [1][2] that don't twist the wire and just put them in straight and twist them with the wire nut. Is the pretwisting old school? Not twisting is the new way and better? Or no preference? I figure not twisting is faster so I could see reducing time on the job is a benefit, but is it the same or better electrically?

[1] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLUD7YfUf7Q
[2] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aocJS0flbBo

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-19, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 702 Posts
This conversation comes up several times a year. It is mostly a matter of personal preference. Many of the wire nut companies illustrate putting the ends of the wires together and then screwing the wire nut on.

My personal preference is to twist the wires first.

Old 02-11-19, 05:16 PM
Received 62 Votes on 53 Posts
I also prefer to twist the wires before applying the wire nut.

Old 02-11-19, 05:30 PM
L
Received 44 Votes on 40 Posts
It is not required to twist wires when using wirenuts. However, I still twist wires when possible. Especially when there are more than 2 wires involved.

I don't twist wires when connecting sold wire to stranded wire as stranded wire tends to automatically wrap around sold wire when putting wirenut on.

Do not twist too much. This will make the splice thicker and wirenut may not fit very well.

Old 02-12-19, 05:31 AM
H
Received 69 Votes on 60 Posts
Interesting question -

I've noticed a difference between how "electrician" and "electrical engineer" twist wires and use wire nuts.

Seems that electricians assume a wire nut is inside a junction box and doesn't need strain relief.
However electrical engineers assume a wire nut junction is free-floating inside a piece of electrical equipment and twisting the stripped ends along with the wire is done to reinforce the junction.

I've worked with people who assembled electrical equipment in the 60s & 70s-
1- bend a pair of 180 degree "U"s for strain relief and black tape that junction together,
2- twist the unstripped portion of the wires and black tape THAT junction together,
3- twist the stripped portion of the wires and wire nut that together, then black tape the wire nut onto the junction.