Light on outlet tester dim

Old 02-11-19, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light on outlet tester dim

Hi all. I'm wiring some new outlets and my tester shows correct but the center light is dim, almost off. The center light off on my tester means open neutral...but the center light is dim, not off. I checked voltage and it is correct but I'm concerned that the connection is weak somewhere. Lights and electronics work when plugged in. Does the dim light mean there is an issue? The tester is bright and shows both yellow "correct wiring" lights in other rooms. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-19, 03:50 PM
Received 60 Votes on 55 Posts
First off, welcome! As far as your connections, "weak" isn't good; they're either 100% or they're not right. So I would start by double checking all of them on that circuit, all the way back to the panel. As far as your tester, those are handy devices, so hold onto it, and don't toss it unless you subsequently determine that it is suspect. But, particularly given your circumstances, I suggest that it's time to buy an actual meter. Meters can be quite expensive, but they don't have to be. An inexpensive analog volt-ohmmeter that you can buy at your local hardware store or big box will do the job just fine and can be indispensable. Compare your tester to other circuits in your home. Are the lights stronger on the other circuits? Not necessarily, but you may have stumbled onto a weak neutral coming in, and that's something that you don't want to ignore.

Old 02-11-19, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
You "checked voltage" so can we assume you have a meter ?

Make three voltage checks......
Small slot to large slot (should be 120vAC nominal)
Small slot to ground (should be 120vAC nominal)
Large slot to ground (should be 0v)