Ceiling fan hookup to Idevices switch

Old 02-14-19, 06:15 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ceiling fan hookup to Idevices switch

Im replacing my light switches with Idevices smart switches. Standard light switches are easy but when I include another switch that's a fan the Idevices people won't help because they say my setup has both the light and fan sharing power. Im not sure what this means and need help identifying the wires so I can hookup the smart light switch. Heres my setup: 2 switches on the wall, one for the fan another for the light.

2 white wires are connected to each other in the box with a wire nut, one black to the bottom of the fan switch, one black wire connected to the top of the fan switch, both are hot. Whats left is red wire coming out of the box and a wire connected to the top brass screw on the fan switch with a wire nut.

The Idevice switch has 3 cords, red for the load, white for the neutral and black line.

How to I identify what's what and how do I wire it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-19, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Can you post a picture or two of the wiring in the box ? How-to-insert-pictures

See if I have this right. You have a two wire and a three wire cable in the box. The two white wires are connected together. The black of the two wire cable goes to both switches. The black from the three wire goes to the fan switch and the red from the three wire goes to the light switch.

If this is correct...... no pictures are needed.

Old 02-14-19, 06:32 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Your description seems a bit off. I would expect a 2-conductor cable with the black connected to one side of each switch.

I would expect the red of a 3-conductor cable to be connected to the other side of one switch and the remaining black of the 3-conductor cable to the other remaining screw of the other switch.

Last edited by ray2047; 02-14-19 at 11:38 PM.