Need guidance

Old 02-18-19, 08:53 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need guidance

I am removing part of a wall in the basement of my daughters 10 year old house. The wall contains a light switch that controls 2 separate lights and I have to move the switch about 10 feet. I have never seen anything like this before (not that I have done a lot of electrical work) and tough to trace the wires in the ceiling. The switch has two separate runs into it. A red and black from one and a black from the other. Both black wires are pushed into the same push in slot. I am guessing that each black feed each light. No neutral at the switch? Is this OK? Thanks for any and all help.

Old 02-18-19, 09:21 AM
D
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
this could get ugly

You not allowed to splice and cover it up. You could move the switch box to the ceiling and put a blank cover plate. Then extend the wires to the new location.

I use the screws on the side of the device, push in does not give me the warm fuzzies.

Old 02-18-19, 09:22 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Is this the only switch that controls these lights or is there another switch for example by another entrance? Does the switch have two wire terminals on it or three?

Old 02-18-19, 09:32 AM
P
Yes just this switch for 2 lights

Old 02-18-19, 09:47 AM
J
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
No white wires at the switch.
Do you have a conduit system?

Old 02-18-19, 09:50 AM
P
I was planning on opening up the ceiling above the old wall, installing a box and extending the wires.
2 separate switches for two separate lights. Wire nut the red with both blacks (one new run) in the box. The one run will get a switch to control one light while the other black will have power going directly to the other pull down chain light. Then add a switch to that light (power to the light first). I saw some wiring diagrams that show power to the light before the switch with the new code (3 wire). What I don't understand is the neutral wire nutted at the switch?
I really have to memorize and be clear in what I am doing because I have too many burnt screwdrivers.

Old 02-18-19, 10:00 AM
P
No conduit. I guess what is throwing me to begin with is that the two blacks in the switch with no terminals are really the neutrals. Three wire confuses me.

Old 02-18-19, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,348 Votes on 1,246 Posts
It's hard to help you as we don't have a clear vision of what you have there.
It sounds like you have a two wire cable..... white, black, ground and a three wire cable there.... white, black, red and ground. Is that correct ?

Black wires are not neutrals and there is no neutral on a regular switch.

Old 02-18-19, 10:31 AM
P
This is all I can see/know and why I am confused. Two chain lights in two separate rooms controlled by one switch. Flip the switch and both lights come on and vice versa. The switch has two separate runs into it (I am assuming one 3 wire and one two wire) but one run has only a black and the other a black and red going into the current switch. There are no bare/ground wires at the switch.With the current setup it would seem that the red is the hot while the two blacks into the same push in hole couldn't be anything other than the neutral?

Old 02-18-19, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
If you don't have any white wires in the box then you must have conduit there.
A picture or two would be helpful...... How-to-insert-pictures

Two black wires pushed in or on the same terminal would be the hot wires.
The red would be switched out.

Old 02-18-19, 10:58 AM
J
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
If you have cables and not conduit then you have white wires. You need to clarify exactly ALL the wires in the switch box, not just the ones connected to the switches.

Old 02-18-19, 04:45 PM
P
OK. I had to go over to her house to see exactly what is what since i took the wall down about a year ago.
Confirmed that the switch box had two white / neutral wires wire nutted and the grounds twisted to the metal box. The switch had the red wire in one slot and the two black wires in another slot. No screw terminals on the switch. Both blacks are hot. Red is now hot when the switch is turned on. So i heard something about a switch loop? My real question is that would it be possible to have the two lights currently on the one switch, controlled by two separate switches? And how. Not sure if anything else could be effected ? Sorry for the inaccurate prior posts.

Old 02-18-19, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
Ok..... thanks for the clarification.

Typically...... the power would come on the two wire cable. Whites get connected together and pass thru. The two blacks go to one side of the switch. The red goes to the other side.

The circuit could also be set up where the power comes in from the light on the three wire cable black and goes out on the two wire cable.

Either way.... the black wires and the white wires need to be connected as the power passes thru that switch. You could break the two black wires and check to determine which one brings power in. You do not have a switch loop circuit.

From your description of the circuit..... the two lights are joined after the switch. Most likely from light to light. That would not allow the lights to be switched separately.

Old 02-18-19, 07:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
To switch the light separately you would need to run a new cable from the switch as well as add a new switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: