Garage lighting layout

Old 02-18-19, 03:32 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage lighting layout

Hi all,

I have a question about a lighting plan for a garage. The garage is 16’X40’ and the lights being used are 4’x2’ panels with LED bulbs. Wondering what the best amount of fixtures and spacing to provide a full clean light throughout the area.

Thanks!

Last edited by nl510; 02-18-19 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 05:00 PM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
So my garage is 22 x 45 and I just converted all my fluorescent fixtures to LED.

I have (4) 8' fixtures with (2) 90W equivalent V-shaped LED bulbs and it's an amazing amount of bright 6500k light.

These fixtures are on the ceiling above where the doors dont cover when open. I then added (4) 48" fixtures with 48W equivalent V-shaped LED bulbs above the doors. WHen the doors are closed, you need sun glassess!!.

Personally I would go with the 8' fixtures, you will need a lot less!

Old 02-19-19, 09:40 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
My garage is 22 x 24, but with a low ceiling, under 8 ft, which demands more lighting than a 8' or 10' ceiling which spreads light better than low ceilings. My 2x4 fixtures have the clear housing covers which further reduce light output.
I have 4 fixtures spaced about at approximately 4 ft to 6 ft spacing to fill the interior space. It lights up brightly directly under the lamps, and slightly less in between. So be sure to put one directly over your work bench. The walls are not well illuminated with this setup, so I added 4 fixtures of twin bulb 4 footers around the walls where needed. I operate them with two different circuits to prevent overloading and to provide softer light when not working on projects. My fixtures are conventional 32 wall florescent 4 ft bulbs. I have no need to add additional lighting except my under cabinet area lights.

Better to design more lights, than fewer lights. Lighting is your friend. To simplify this suggestion, mount 4 to 6 feet apart, with 4 foot spacing being preferred.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: