SQ D Breaker

Old 02-24-19, 07:29 PM
Gen
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
SQ D Breaker

I have a Square D panel & breakers. See pic...The original breaker is the one on the right. I want to use the hooked type on the left because I need a twin. Both seem to engage positions and work fine in the panel. Can I use either type? Why or why not?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-19, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Only some panels are listed for use with tandems. The hook is a rejection clip so they cannot be used in certain spots or the panel unless allowed.

Old 02-25-19, 04:52 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
ONLY use a breaker in a panel IF and only IF the breaker is rated for that particular panel. Never use a breaker in a panel "just because it fits". This rules goes for breakers made by the same company. Also, never modify a breaker to fit in a panel.

A panel should have a label on it with the model number of the panel. Most will have the breakers that are rated for that panel.

If you use a breaker not rated for that panel and have to make a claim to your home owners insurance company they could deny the claim for that reason alone. Not to mention the danger in using it to begin with.

Old 02-25-19, 08:02 AM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
Both seem to engage positions and work fine in the panel. Can I use either type? Why or why not?

If the breaker pan mounting rail has rectangular slots for the silver colored hook to fit into the panel is made to accept that CTL tandem breaker. I would recommend you check the label inside the panel box for the type breakers your panel will accept. I believe that tandem you are holding is a type QOT breaker.

Old 02-25-19, 01:17 PM
Gen
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for all the replies!