Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Convert Flush mount outlet to Surface Mount in order to run EMT?

Old 02-28-19, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I will be getting new garage door openers and that requires my power to be moved. Instead of going through the hassle of breaking sheet rock and doing patch work, considering it's a garage, I figured I could just run EMT and do surface mount boxes for these two outlets.

In order to do this, I need to tap off of a power source in my garage. I have a two-gang flush mount box for my garage light switches. Pretty sure the box is plastic since every other box in my house is. How can I go about converting that box to a surface mount box? Do they sell parts that act as an adapter of sorts?

The best I could come up with is using a two-gang mud ring to secure to the flush mount box and then use a metal 4x4 extension ring bolted to the mud ring? I think the bolt heads would either cause a gap or damage the sheetrock, but that's all
I have figured out through research. Any other options?

As a disclaimer, I've done a bunch of basic electrical work in my house, from running new circuits to re-wiring old. However, I have never worked with surface mount boxes so I'm unfamiliar with their parts/pieces.

Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-19, 09:21 PM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
You should verify that you can tap this box before you go installing conduit. Switches often do not have a neutral.

Old 02-28-19, 10:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
A two gang mud ring won't match a plastic box.
Wiremold has all kinds of box adapters but it only adapts to their track..... not EMT.
Wiremold system

If I was doing the job... I'd fish a wire from the top of the box...... thru the wall and come out of the wall and into a metal box up high on the wall.

Old 03-01-19, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
If you want to run conduit I would install a separate, surface mount box near/above your switch box. Fish your wire between the two. Then you can run your conduit from the new surface mounted box.

Old 03-01-19, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you guys for the input!

In regards to a neutral at the switch, in my home, so far every switch I've opened has had a neutral bundle. I'm big into smart home and home automation, so neutrals are required for smart switches. While I cannot confirm as I haven't opened the plate yet, I'm going under the assumption that it's just like the rest.

After a bunch more research last night, I found the Raco 187 box, which will apparently mount to a double-gang flush-mount box, to convert it to a surface-mount solution for EMT. I did purchase one off of Amazon, which will be here tomorrow that I can try out. However, interesting thoughts on fishing a line specifically for a surface mount box. I assume this would be where you fish a romex in a direction away from the current flush-mount box, pop a hole, use a screw-on romex clamp to the back of the new surface-mount box and then mount? I'm sure this could be a cheaper solution than the $10 187 box I bought...thanks for the suggestion! I at least have a backup strategy should the 187 not work well.

Thanks again!

Old 03-01-19, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
The Raco 187 box will not work for a 2 gang box. It is for extending a single gang box.

I would fish down into the existing box from above or to the side with some NM-b cable. Then install a 4x4 box and install a GFCI receptacle (as required by code) Then run EMT off of that box up to the ceiling for the receptacles for the GDO's

Old 03-01-19, 02:44 PM
Received 21 Votes on 16 Posts
I would fish down into the existing box from above or to the side with some NM-b cable. Then install a 4x4 box and install a GFCI receptacle (as required by code) Then run EMT off of that box up to the ceiling for the receptacles for the GDO's

#metoo ...........................................