Magnetic connector for high voltage

Old 03-04-19, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Magnetic connector for high voltage

I tried to post this question in an electricians forum. I got one response that mentioned that the site is only for professionals and that I should post it in DIY forum. So please find below my request.

I am not an electrician.

I have been looking all day for a magnetic breakaway connector for higher voltage cables.

There are plugs available that can be put at the end of power cables but I could not find any that are not made for the USA type of cables.

So I am wondering if there are universal ones or a website that can provide for different

Or if there is one that can be use mid cable for 3 wires cable, the third would be for earth. I found low voltage DC ones for 24V similar to the ones used in USB cables. But need some that are used for any home appliance.

I need some that can support up to 240VAC at least.

The below link will show examples of what I mean.

Here are the low voltage ones.

Connectors

https://www.cfconn.com/product-show_13461/

Cable

https://thegadgetflow.com/portfolio/...harging-cable/

Plugs for USA type of cable connectors

Name:  mag.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  21.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-04-19 at 08:01 AM. Reason: removed link/added picture from link
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-19, 08:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
Thread moved to electrical forum.
Links to other forums and kickstarter are not allowed.

Old 03-04-19, 08:37 AM
(PJmax )I apologies for posting links from not allowed sources and thank you for taking the time to move my post and editing my Thread with the proper image.

I will add a video for the same product from Youtube showing the plug in action. So it will be the exact same type of connectors if any others exist with specs on what they can be used for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4RXZNySong

Old 03-04-19, 02:01 PM
Group Moderator
No problem. That's the first I've seen a magnetic disconnect for line voltage. I have seen them for low voltage applications like phones and Apple products. I can't really help you any further.

Possibly another member will shed some more light on the issue.

Old 03-04-19, 02:15 PM
Magnoplug is the name of the product but I can't find it's website online. However I found a link that shows the exact shape of the plug but different colour with a couple of other models. Maybe the product was bought out by someone else.

From the link: https://www.voltsafe.com/

I hope that there someone can direct me to find more info on magnetic electrical connectors.

Old 03-04-19, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Due to the connection properties..... it can probably only be used in a low current application.
What are you using it for ?
I know you mentioned at least 240v. At least ?? How much higher do you want to go ?

Old 03-04-19, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
While you may find videos or other websites like this, they are likely not products that have come to market. Any electrical product that is not low voltage is required to go through an approved testing lab (such as UL) before it is sold in the US. These products likely have not passed through this testing and therefore are not available.

What are you trying to accomplish with this type of plug?

Old 03-05-19, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I've never seen anything like this for high voltage. It seems like such a device would be very difficult to get through safety testing, would have an extremely limited market and doesn't solve any problems that regular extension cords don't solve. If you trip on a standard extension cord, it will pull out of the receptacle.

I could see some use in charging electric vehicles for example, but the manufacturer also has other better options like disabling the drive motors while the charging port is open rather than rely on a breakaway cord.

Old 03-05-19, 11:59 AM
240v should be enough for most applications from most countries so if I can find up to 240v then it is fine.

I would say that it is excellent for safety reasons. It is great for using with power tools because the cables always snag on something.

Many of the plugs also have the safety feature to not get shocked even if all the "prongs" are touched at the same time.

So it has many benefits and it looks like it is the way to the future.

So get on the bus with me

Old 03-05-19, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Did you see the size of the thing in the video? It's HUGE! I'll pass for now.

Old 03-05-19, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
A while back I had a Zojirushi hot pot (picture a coffee pot that keeps hot water hot 24/7). It had a magnetic power cord.

http://www.goodmans.net/i/6288/zojirushi-8-cdp-300-cord.htm

Old 03-06-19, 04:50 AM
(ibpooks) In fact this plug was made for keeping cars warm during winter which is something that is a must in Canada and if they don't do it then the car will freeze until they put it in a special truck to warm it up again. You will find its use below in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya48FxZXAi0

(Tolyn Ironhand) Yes it is Huge, I am here to see if people are aware of similar products. If you check the link which has the same plug under a different name and color you will be able to see different types for different applications so we just need to find a better one than what is available. I am trying to find a better version of it. I still think that it is the way of the future if they are 100% safe all the time.
https://www.voltsafe.com/

(Zorfdt) That is a good plug but it is only for a specific application. It is better to use something mid-cable for wider range of application for higher voltages.

Old 03-06-19, 05:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Yeah I agree and can see there are some potential uses. We use block heaters here too and standard extension cords just don't seem like a problem -- they're widely available and cheap/easy to install and repair. This looks like it would be rather expensive and you would have to throw it away if anything in the breakaway mechanism goes wrong.