I need to run 220v 650 ft

Old 03-07-19, 06:10 PM
Question I need to run 220v 650 ft

I bought a property that I am currently building a house. The community well is 433 ft, from my house, and it pump is dropped to 250ft. The electrical company wants to charge me $12,000 to pull service 600 ft from the pole to the well, and another $8,000 to pull the electricity from the pole to my house 150ft. My question is can I run a 220v direct burial cable from my house 200 amp service 650 so I can power my well? Would I need to upgrade my house service to maybe 300 amps? I feel that the electric company is waay over charging me to run the service from the pole to my house.

Can someone think of any alternatives.

A bit of a backstory, My husband and I are building our house by ourselves, with no subs or contractors and all cash, no loan, and no we didn't sell our house in order to build this one. It's cash as we make it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-19, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
Welcome to the forums.

Having a deep well that far from the house is definitely not a plus.
We're working with 240v....... 220v went out with button shoes.

I would use [email protected] as the factor in wiring size. You can probably use #10 wiring down to the well but you'll need something quite large to the house. Based on a 3% drop you're in the neighborhood of #1 copper. You don't need a larger service. You just need wire large enough to get power to the well. Ideally in aluminum you'd want 1/0 but I'm not sure if it's made.

Minimum sized cable to well
Maximum sized cable to well

You're going to need large cable from the pole to your house too.
What are you planning on doing...... renting a machine ?

Hi Ray.

Old 03-07-19, 11:02 PM
The conduit from the pole under the street is already there. We will need to run it from our side of the street to our house. We will probably just rent a ditch witch. I should have mentioned that we already have the well up and running. We used 3 wire 240v, which we hooked up to a generator, not ideal but it will do for now.

Old 03-08-19, 04:52 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
You mentioned that it is a community well. Isn't the well powered now... for the community? If you will be powering the well from your house how will the water sharing work from the community well? In my area community wells are no longer permitted and being tied to a community well can prevent the sale of the home until a private well is installed.

Old 03-08-19, 06:45 AM
The well was drilled 12 years ago as part of a 6 parcel plot. All the owners of the properties got together, paved a service road, and drilled and capped a well. Mind you this is out in the wild west of Arizona. Basically the agreement says first one to build a house gets to set up the well. Which means bringing in the power, and setting the pump and well equipment. Then if or when any other owners decide to build they will have to pay us a 6th of the cost of setting up the well and bringing in power. Well we don't think anyone ever well not in the next 10 years or so will be building so we are going to use our power from our house to set up the well, and if someone with a bank loan wants to bring power to the well then we will share in the cost.

Old 03-08-19, 07:15 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
I based my wire sizing on an average/large pump. That sounds like it's much larger to serve several customers. The bigger the pump the larger the starting draw. You'll need to check the pump requirements and size accordingly.

I know money is an issue but this is one location where the service should be right at the pump.

Old 03-08-19, 08:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 34
I agree with Pete's recommendation on the larger #2/0 sized MHF cable. Burial depth is minimum 24" for the naked cable, and you'll need conduit anywhere it comes above grade.

Old 03-08-19, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
I suggest installing a separate service and meter for the well. I would not want that load on my electrical service nor would I want to pay for everybody's water usage. Have the power company connect two services/meters out near the pole and then run your own feeder to the well and the other to the homestead.

Old 03-09-19, 07:04 AM
I appreciate your input, but I think you are missing the point. Nobody ever will be using this well but us. I'm not going to pay 16K for the electric company to put in 2 meters they will charge me 8k each.

All I simply want to know is this. I have a well the well is 500 ft from my house and the 2hp pump is dropped 200 ft. I want to know if it is possible to run 240 from my house all the way to the well and down 200 ft. That's it. Will it work?

Old 03-09-19, 08:29 AM
Upvotes Received: 19
Yes it will work as long as the wire is sized large enough to account for voltage drop at almost 700'.

Based on 2HP motor I suggest #2 Al RHH/RHW-2/USE-2 direct bury for the cheapest option. Or #2 Al XHHW-2 in conduit the whole run.

Edit: Is your service panel on the outside of the house, or inside?

Edit2: I'm not familiar with well pump wiring, so not sure about wire type that's needed from well head down to the pump. What I stated above will get you from the house to the well head.

Last edited by pattenp; 03-09-19 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-09-19, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
Can someone think of any alternatives.
This is why I posted what I did. My point is to have the power company install their wires as close to the pole as you can to save you money. Then run your own wires where you need them to go. It is always cheaper to run your own wires then to have the power company do it. The only exception is if they are going to install primary wires and a transformer closer to your homestead.

In my area, it is common for rural power companies to install a meter/pedestal out by the street near their pole. Then the customer is responsible for getting the wires from the pedestal to the home service.

Meter example: https://www.milbankworks.com/product...221-O-200-10GR

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 03-10-19 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-11-19, 10:15 AM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rs...zGnPbI6H_BN2io

Here is picture of my land. The utility pole front and center in this picture is where they are going to run power to my house. The will put a transformer on the pole. The meter and electrical box will be located on the exterior of my house. I hope this helps.

Old 03-11-19, 10:45 AM
Upvotes Received: 19
Since your panel will be on the outside of the house you can use the wire linked below because the wire will not be entering your home to reach an interior panel.
https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/...ion-cable.html

Old 03-11-19, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
Do you really need a 2hp pump? That's really big for a single home unless you have a need to move that much water (and only if the well can supply water that fast). A smaller pump motor would allow you to drop down in wire size.

Old 06-14-19, 12:50 PM
I don't know if I need a 2 hp pump, all I know is that I have 10 kids living at home and sometimes we use a bunch of water. Now that I think about it I think it is a 1.5 hp.

Old 06-14-19, 12:56 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Here is what I am talking about. So the electric company wants me to pay for all the junction boxes and residential transformers, since all that is there right now is the 3" conduit running from the pole to each of these boxes. All I want from my power company is to run the cable from the pole thru the conduit already in place to the junction box on my property, and to my house.

Last edited by mom211kidz; 06-14-19 at 01:06 PM. Reason: explination of the link
Old 06-14-19, 04:20 PM
Upvotes Received: 15
I just saw this thread for the first time. You mentioned that you're using a generator now to power the well pump. It's important that the pump have full voltage not only when it's turned on but also when it's turned off. That's because it has thrust bearings that ride on a film of water when the motor is up to speed. Otherwise the bearings wear out more quickly. So don't shut off the generator until the pump has been switched off, otherwise the pump will keep turning as the generator coasts down.

Old 06-15-19, 03:12 PM
Upvotes Received: 1
I read some of the other posts and discovered your in Arizona, Pima county. So am I and am doing a similar building project. I managed to get Tucson water.
I discovered prior to buying a parcel like yours a lot of distributing information about wells and water. If your well is not on a deeded parcel to itself then you have a muddy problem. If your well has a deeded parcel of land to itself. Then it is a bit clearer. I found that in the best of circumstances that a community well needed to be on a deeded parcel to it self and have a filed agreement with both the county and state on the use of the water. Very similar to a HOA agreement. So many of the parcels I looked at had neither. Even the ones that I found there was very vague wording on how to connect to the source of the water and who to pay and worse how much.
To your electrical issue. you could get a couple of buck boost transformers, raise the voltage at your service end and then lower it at the pump. Run the source from your service and have a solution. I would stick to the generator idea, chalk the costs of it up to the cost of where you are. Paying for any electrical service could be construed as your the developer. There are laws on the books where you are for the capping of a well and what you have to do to bring it to service.
I counsel you to find out where you are legally with the capped well and how to use it. If you have not had your property survey, do so immediately. Both my property and a buddy south of Vails land the lines on paper were wrong. His by 6 feet and my by 19 inches. No big deal for me. It cost my buddy 20 grand to straighten it out his block fences were actually on someone else's land.
Best wishes,