Troubleshooting a few rooms lost power to lighting.

Old 03-08-19, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Troubleshooting a few rooms lost power to lighting.

i live in a 3 bedroom house (10 years old) with a garage. I came home today and my utility room light, the hallway leading to it, and all of the garage lights except the gfi switch in garage is not working. Iíve reset my breaker and checked all gfi switches but canít seem to figure out why these are out. Also the breaker that controls this part of the house has two lights that still work but utility room, hallway and garage do not. The washer and dryer do work in utility room just not the overhead light. Also the receptacle in the hallway works just not overhead light. In the garage all outlets do not work except the one gfi switch does work. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-19, 05:36 PM
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
Loose connection, possibly in a working device on the circuit.
Not sure when NEC started requiring garage receptacles to be GFCI but another tripped GFCI somewhere.

Old 03-08-19, 05:51 PM
Yeah Iíve checked all gfi and reset them. There was a receptacle installed in the garage a few years ago not original to house so I checked that first to see if that could be the cause. Whatís odd is itís givin out 123 volts but anything I plug into it does not turn on. This may be normal just seemed weird to me.

Old 03-08-19, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
How are you checking for voltage ?
You should be using a meter.

Check from the small slot to the large slot for 120vAC.
Check from the small slot to ground for 120vAC.
Check from the large slot to ground for 0v.

Old 03-08-19, 06:47 PM
Honestly it wasnít me it was the guy from the utility company. I called them first thinking it could be their end. As last year we had flickering lights and outages because our phone company had nipped the line. So me and my neighbor were having issues. They fixed it on the street side and I havenít had issues since.

So he came out and checked voltage to my box and said everything seemed fine on their end. He came inside and he checked breaker box and said everything looked fine. Thatís when I mentioned new receptacle in garage that was installed few years back just thinking that was only electrical upgrade we have done to home. He checked it with his meter and was stumped as he kept getting good voltage but nothing worked plugged into it. He said best to call electrician but was literally stumped.

so figured Iíd check with you guys first even if I do call electrician just to get a grasp of what it could be.

Old 03-08-19, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Without a meter you can't go much further.

However...... it's always in the best interest of the homeowner to have a complete list of what is on what circuit. When I get called to troubleshoot a problem like yours..... the customer pays me to determine what is on the problem circuit. That's fine with me. Money in my pocket.

With a list of what is on each circuit..... when a circuit has a problem..... you can check and see if everything on that circuit is out or just some things. The problem is rarely at the breaker box. It's typically an open neutral and since your guy measured voltage..... that's probably what the problem is. We've found many problems are caused by the use of push-in terminals on the back of devices. With age.... those connections become intermittent and open.

Old 03-10-19, 01:26 PM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
Loose connection, possibly in a working device on the circuit.

Spot on! You have a loose connection on the circuit.

He checked it with his meter and was stumped as he kept getting good voltage but nothing worked plugged into it.

He obviously checked hot to ground and had good voltage, but your problem is a loose neutral connection somewhere in the circuit.